Digital meat thermometer for $7

[Read the post]

Needs more IoT crappiness, so random hackers can steal your credit card number and spy on your children via your rack of lamb.

7 Likes

Well, theyā€™ve finally invented a thermometer more uncomfortable to use than the rectal kind. Good job everybody!

2 Likes

As if the thought of cloned meat wasnā€™t bad enough, and itā€™s hard not to lose your lunch over lab grown meatā€¦

But I absolutely must draw the line at digital meat!

2 Likes

One rarely needs to use it for anything, and when one does, the battery is empty.
But donā€™t worry. The old meat thermometer with its bimetal coil, in the car-port, that you used to stir epoxy with, it still works fine.
Verschlimmbesserung.

1 Like

Yeah? I got your digital meat thermometer right here!

As to thermometers that arenā€™t fingers, Iā€™m torn between the long life and reliability of bi metal thermometers and the shininess of electronic. With bi-metal, Iā€™m never quite whether Iā€™m measuring the temperature at the tip of the probe or the entire length of it, whereas with digital I assume (rightly or wrongly) that the thermocouple is in the tip.

3 Likes

Digital meatā€¦ itā€™s finger-licking good!!

rim-shot

To lengthen the life of your electronics, keep them cool.

Bimetal thermometers are really only good to leave in a roast in the oven for the entire cooking time. They are too slow to use as instant read thermometer. Even the small ones that claim to be fast are still slow compared to a digital thermometer, and many are also quite inaccurate.

A cheap digital thermometer is more accurate and faster than a bimetalic thermometer, but most of them are still too slow. If you are cooking over a hot grill, you want something where you can make the measurement before burning your hand.

The Thermoworks Thermopop is the best value out there, I paid about $30 for mine. It has a very fine tip and responds very quickly. It is 2-3x faster than your typical $10-$20 thermometer. The Thermoworks Thermapen is widely regarded as the best instant read digital thermometer out there, but at around $100, the Thermopop is good enough for me, although I have never used the Thermapen, it is possible if I tried it I would never look back.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a good choice. I hadnā€™t really considered that different digital thermometers would have widely different read times.

The Thermoworks Thermopop (which is weirdly overpriced at $69 on Amazon, but $29 from the maker):

Range: -58 to 572Ā°F (-50 to 300Ā°C)
Accuracy: Ā±2.0Ā°F (Ā±1Ā°C) from -4 to 248Ā°F (-20 to 120Ā°C); Ā±4.0Ā°F (Ā±2Ā°C) thereafter
Resolution: 1Ā° over full range
Response: About 5 to 6 seconds

Markā€™s $7 affiliate link thermometer:
5 Second Ultra-Fast Response Time and Ā±0.90ā„ƒ Accuracy (Range: 32ā„‰~392ā„‰/ 0ā„ƒ to +200ā„ƒ)

Looks like Markā€™s suggestion is just as fast and as accurate, but has a reduced range of measurement - not bad for $7.

This one seems interesting, too, and ā€œand complies with USDA meat thermometer requirementsā€ - requirements Iā€™ve never heard of* :

But, I wonder if the thin 1/16" probe, while good for ground meat products, would be too delicate for other purposes?

[quote]This directive clarifies the method to be used by FSIS personnel to determine the minimum internal temperature and holding time of cooked meat patties. On September 1, 1993, the regulation ā€œHeat-Handling and Storage Requirements for Uncured, Meat Pattiesā€ became effective. Applicable products include items such as cooked hamburger, salisbury steaks, breaded and battered chopped veal steaks, and pork sausage patties.
ā€¦
Thermocouple thermometers will be used to verify the temperature of cooked meat patties. The thermocouple thermometer is used in the same manner as the traditional thermometer; however, the sensitive portion is restricted to the very tip of the probe. The probe itself is a smaller diameter (1/16ā€) allowing easier insertion into the center of a thin patty. [/quote]
www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISDirectives/7370.1.pdf

Whatā€™s wrong with in viro meat? Or do you mean the nearly genetically identical cattle the US is ranching?

Honestly, I canā€™t wait for in vitro meat. For both ethical and QA reasons. Iā€™m too lazy to go vegetarian, but in vitro meat would assuage pretty much all my issues with factory farming, personally.

Thermocouples generally only measure at the tip (juncture of two dissimilar metals), because of the Seebeck affect.

Where do I get digital meat? Is it from human digits?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.