Dinosaur art is not bullshit (unless you’re doing it wrong)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/19/dinosaur-art-is-not-bullshit.html

7 Likes

Take it outside guys!

4 Likes

Thank you for the excellent post. No, never mind that, I’ll thank you by buying your books! (I & II)

2 Likes

Science :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

2 Likes

Just found the perfect Christmas present for my artist daughter. Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I call bullshit. Where are all the people? Adam and Eve, and you know those other people in the Bible? Educate yourselves, go to a museum.

1 Like

I’m glad to see this post, which does a better job of defending the art than I could have. I grew up consuming paleoart (and not just looking but reading about the science behind it), a particular favorite being Gregory S. Paul’s “Predatory Dinosaurs of the World.” Bakker’s “The Dinosaur Heresies” was a close second. I knew there was a lot of research going into attempts at imagining the physical appearance of these animals, and it was much more rigorous than in previous generations. But lack of solid evidence and conservative interpretations lead to a period where most dinosaur illustrations looked rather naked and emaciated. If mistakes were made, it was because the artists were trying so hard not to give us bullshit.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.