Dior launches racist Native American-themed ad campaign for "The New Sauvage"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/30/dior-launches-native-american.html

6 Likes

Just dab a little behind each ear, and you’ll be tone deaf too!

37 Likes

What the actual fucking fuck? Did they get a new marketing team straight from the 19th century?

17 Likes

Why not? Does the NFL have a monopoly on historical stereotypes?

6 Likes

At this point, I have to believe that companies that do this are intentionally trolling for the free negative publicity.

Fuck any corporation that thinks intentionally offending marginalized people and then playing dumb and offering a requisite nonpology is somehow a “good business model” for generating revenue.

Fuck you, Dior.
Fuck you, Gucci.
Fuck you, Prada.

45 Likes

This is full-on deaf, not tone deaf.

2 Likes

Nailed it.

Of course they are in high fashion- they really could be that stupid.

18 Likes

This absolutely has to be intentional specifically to generate outrage buzz. I can’t imagine a corporate lawyer signing off on this

15 Likes

It’s not just high fashion, sadly.

Unless I’m mistaken, Urban Outfitters, H&M, Diesel and Gap have all had similar issues in the past.

17 Likes

LOL Who is this for?

“We are the land.”??? I mean, sounds like something you would find on a brand at Whole Foods. When I think something earthy, connected to nature, I think over priced French fashion.

Have fun in your ivory towers smelling your own farts :confused:

5 Likes
5 Likes

It sounded to me more like Johnny Depp was saying, “We are gland”, but who really cares?

4 Likes

Looks like they’re marketing a fragrance. So maybe it’s supposed to smell like desert soil or something?

7 Likes

Adam Sandler said it would be okay. (It’s not okay.)

3 Likes

Obligatory:

Next up from Dior, a real-life Derelicte, because why not:

10 Likes

Well of course they must have worked out some type of revenue-sharing or royalty agreement with a Native American or First Nations tribal group. They must have, right? Otherwise it’s just inconceivable…

6 Likes

Yeah, this is so incredibly tonedeaf, especially with the whole “sauvage” bullshit (why yes, it does have a meaning of “savage” in French, as in “the savages”), that I can’t believe it’s not being done on purpose. Even if they don’t care, and I don’t believe they do, they should be self-aware enough to understand that this is not going to go down well. But still, people are going to talk about it, and while most people are going to be justifiably appalled, the target demographic, that also doesn’t care, will just shrug and buy the parfume anyway.

8 Likes

17 Likes

That seems unduly charitable. I’m sure plenty of them are merely mercenary; but if giving the wonderful worlds of fashion and advertising a little shake doesn’t produce a bountiful crop of people who are enthusiastic racists and/or consider abuse and exploitation of people weaker than they are to be an end in itself, even a luxury for which they would sacrifice some monetary reward; I’ll eat my hat or one of their appropriated ‘tribal’ headdresses.

7 Likes

I Didn’t mind it up until they revealed… savage? Wait what?

1 Like