Dior launches racist Native American-themed ad campaign for "The New Sauvage"

So when will they come out with a scent capturing the powerful acrid musk of colonialism? I’m thinking maybe it could be called “Bigôt” and pack a skunky punch that you just can’t get out of your nostrils… think it will be popular?

17 Likes

The next one will be “Noir” and have black people picking cotton.

“Oh! We had consultants check to make sure the spiritual they were singing was accurate!”

17 Likes

I’m assuming that Johnny Depp thought that this was a movie.

2 Likes
7 Likes

It has quite a number of connotations:

This scent has been out for a while. It used to be advertised like this:

Personally, I avoid perfumes.

2 Likes

Those guys are working on a separate campaign; aimed at emphasizing the brand’s French identity, with some unmistakable aesthetic influences from Apple’s iconic ‘Think Different’ poster series:

They’ve settled on the tagline, “Dior: Territoire Français”; but are still working on which images of colonial Algeria will look the most bold and iconic when desaturated and printed full-page.

Even the critics admit that it will be visually forceful; and the domestic response is expected to significantly reinforce market segmentation strategies aimed at targeting both the high end luxury market and…more peripheral…aspirational purchasers of low cost branded goods.

6 Likes

Personally, I find Dior, Gucci, and Prada to be 3 posterchildren of attention whoring, worthless fashion brands, worn by people with simplistic or gaudy, pretentious taste.

When I think of high fashion, I think bespoke, or things like Berlutti, niche brands that don’t attention whore to get people to buy them. They just make really fantastic stuff, under the radar, for people with developed taste.

Of course, this is all totally presumptuous on my part. I guess I just have better taste than the fragrance counter at a mall Macys.

1 Like

HereWeGoAgain

5 Likes

Ha ha, ouch. (Or perhaps je devrais dire “Aïe”.)

1 Like

Mmm…smells like attempted genocide and intergenerational trauma. Do I smell a hint of smallpox blankets? It’s just such a memorable scent!

13 Likes

He’s playing Link Wray who was Shawnee, but I can’t help hearing “Young Guns III.”

If you’re not finding the full content elsewhere, this kid grabbed it all:

2 Likes

All I can think is that they could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by looking up the word “savage” in the dictionary. So if y’all want to have a protest over this, I would suggest you start mailing old dictionaries to Dior headquarters with the page marked. I imagine if their mailroom was flooded with hundreds of old dictionaries they would get the message. It’s like if you had a Republican-themed product line called FASCIST. It wouldn’t endear you to Republicans.

1 Like

I can’t find the photo at the moment, but I’ve seen this poster tidily defaced to say “S A U S A G E”.

9 Likes

“Sauvage” can translate to “savage” and it can also translate to “wild,” as in the examples you provided (wild raspberries and wildflowers, respectively). It would be silly to argue for the latter translation in the context of the ad, though.

6 Likes
1 Like

Didn’t Amber Heard claim that Depp had savagely beat her?

This assssociation with Depp might have been misguided from the very beginning

1 Like

It really does seem like a slap in the face. Incidentally, my family claims French and indigenous Mexican heritage. So, in the end, the French colonialists and the so-called savages, together, somehow find a way to make the world a more beautiful place.

I can Derelicte my own balls, thank you very much.

4 Likes

I didn’t realize they actually had him play Tonto. He has claimed that he has Cherokee or Creek blood, but it appears as though that was a bad guess based on his actual ancestry and supposed DNA test.

1 Like

It’s a common ploy in selling perfume to men to give it a really butch name, but tying in Depp’s penchant for playing Cowboys and Indians is what got them in trouble.

1 Like