Dior launches racist Native American-themed ad campaign for "The New Sauvage"

:confounded:

5 Likes

e2da316a44025b1a0b8232bbf1702ee2--lumberjack-song-monty-python

8 Likes

"Executive director Laura Harris said she expected the backlash but wanted to ensure Native Americans were part of the production, that it would educate people on indigenous values and philosophy, and that the Native components of the shoot were done tastefully and respectfully.

“Our aim was hopefully that the controversy would do exactly what it’s done on social media and raise people’s awareness,” she told The Associated Press."

So yes, they fully expected a controversy. And look at all the free publicity it got them!

6 Likes

the end line of that article is crap

Sauvage features notes of ethyl alcohol, ambergris, purified water , adrenochrome and shattered dreams ($150 for 3.4 ounces).

5 Likes

I see what you did there.

4 Likes

I guess it cant be racist as long as Johnny Depp plays part in this, cause of his cherokee-ancestors bloodli…

Depp’s claims came under scrutiny when Indian Country Today stated that Depp had never inquired about his heritage nor was he recognized as a member of the Cherokee Nation. This led to criticism from the Native American community, as Depp has no documented Native ancestry, and Native community leaders refer to him as “a non-Indian”

oh, snap!

Fuck you, Johnny. was the fucking money worth it?

and hopefuly it doesnt get more pathetic than this shit:

ohmy

goodgrief

blech

long the times of “ed wood” are gone. what happend to you, john? what fucked you up? Jerry Bruckheimer?

5 Likes

3 Likes

So the question is, will a racist ad done today cost him as much as recist tweets of a decade ago have cost others, others without as much clout?

COLOGNEIALISM

That’s genius.

:joy::joy::rofl::rofl:

17 Likes

fac2fcc6a921fbec9bf6968e7a29bc2d

1 Like

If they’d called it Pirate, they’d have been fine. Or maybe Approprié

5 Likes

Johnny Depp is involved? Man, he used to be my one, “I’m not gay, but if it was Johnny Depp…” But not now :confused:

He must really be in debt from drinking all his expensive wine, and really be drunk from drinking all his expensive wine to think this was a good idea. Talk about shooting your career in the foot.

1 Like

So the calculus goes like this (I’m speculating here, but this is a blog comment stream…) – They know there will be a backlash such as we see here, but they figure a lot more people will enjoy the imagery and maybe even appreciate that it is “authentic” and vetted by NAs. This will (they hope) provoke conflict between those more accepting consumers and the ones such as we see here, who will (they hope) come off as cranky and oversensitive. The gamble is how many in each group, who ends up being the loudest, who grabs the narrative, where the net goodwill is.
I wonder, like other commenters, about profit-sharing, fees, that kind of thing. Who’s getting paid?
As a side note, yes, Johnny Depp seems utterly pathetic. But, honestly, who cares about Johnny Depp.

2 Likes

5 Likes

There is still Rufus Sewell.

2 Likes

It was either that or work on the campaign for the upcoming ‘Évolué’ fragrance; which will definitely be a purely aesthetic celebration of sophistication, 100% free of any problematic implications or historically loaded references. The atypical percentage of models of color in the campaign is purely a noble move away from historical biases in advertising, really very noble, nothing else to see here.

Actually, they probably would go there. Then respond with some smarm about how unfortunate it was that their affirmation of people of all backgrounds who aspire to achievement and personal redefinition was misinterpreted or something.

3 Likes
5 Likes

The more I read about Johnny Depp, the more of a sad, broken mess he seems to be. He spent his money on wildly over-priced extravagances and self-abuse, surrounded by people who siphoned off and mismanaged large amounts of his fortune.

All we did was use one historically overfreighted word…

7 Likes

Fucking A; damn near everything I’ve heard about him over the last few years has been negative.

6 Likes
2 Likes