Direct from the Uncanny Valley: Affetto, the freaky child android head

They’re called “people”.

2 Likes

Wobot

2 Likes

That’s a blast from the past! And weirdly I was in my local pub last night with someone who is a colourist for 2000AD…

I think they still need to work on Affetto, there’s a few points that aren’t so much ‘emotion’ as ‘stroke victim’.

1 Like

They really need to give Affetto the Tickle-Me-Elmo treatment.

1 Like

It looks strange because the face is not that of a child, it is the face of an adult with dwarfism. The sculpter did not capture the essence of a child’s face.

1 Like

As I understand things, they aren’t trying to pass the robot off as human. We aren’t gonna need that ol’ blade runner magic for a while yet. Japanese companies do plenty of abstract research that in the UK or US would be done in university departments (or at least that was my experience when I worked for Canon, and went out there) and universities are more dedicated to teaching than research. So, it is entirely likely that people in Japanese companies are working on animatronic heads to order to find out what it is that bugs us about the appearance, and to converge on a solution; but with no immediate plans to make a product.

Why make an animatronic head rather than an animation? I imagine there are all sorts of other distracting factors that come into play when you are rendering an image. You look at objects differently when they are on the screen. The rendering and the screen pixel structure can hide all sorts of things. You expect the white point to be different and the camera to map the specular highlights into the display range. But a head on a pole is just there, and either it looks okay (insofar as a child’s head on a pole ever looks okay) or it doesn’t.

Real%20Genius__Lazlo__Maybe

Nope nope nope. The pale whiteness gives me the heebs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.