Direct from the Uncanny Valley: Affetto, the freaky child android head

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/16/direct-from-the-uncanny-valley.html

2 Likes

Have they not seen A.I.? This will not end well.

8 Likes

For heavens’ sake why? I hate to be crude, but robots are here for one purpose and one purpose only: to do my bidding! They do not have emotions and I’m not one to pretend they do.

Don’t get me wrong, we must treat a machine with respect, but only because some other poor soul had to build it.

6 Likes

This is still far too artificial to qualify for the uncanny valley for me. It’s clearly a piece of rubber.

4 Likes

11 Likes

Weirdly, the less-developed version not only was less Uncanny Valley, but it actually looked more human (in motion as well), even if the color was wrong:

8 Likes

Do. Not. Want.

3 Likes

I didn’t see much variation, and couldn’t tell what emotions it was supposed to be expressing.

4 Likes

of course there are always exceptions… does she come in brunette?

2 Likes

I guess this is progress.

8 Likes

It’s creepy enough without having to imagine that thing emerging from some poor woman’s birth canal.

5 Likes

“Our precise findings will let us effectively control android facial movements to introduce more nuanced expressions, such as smiling and frowning.”

The challenge is give the android emotional expressions which are sufficiently sophisticated to display “revolted unease” when it looks across the Uncanny Valley and sees a human face.

6 Likes

How cute. He’s got cheeks like Don Vito Corleone.

2 Likes

‘… their goal is to “offer a path for androids to express greater ranges of emotion, and ultimately have deeper interaction with humans.”’

I don’t think that explains the ultimate intent here, one which I think can only be answered by knowing who funds this type of research.

5 Likes

Put Klaus in your living room, so the Plastic Girl can have a friend.

2 Likes

My cat for some reason was meowing constantly as I watched that. The sound appeared to come from the face. It was hilarious.

3 Likes

No but I did watch Small Wonder and it was great.

3 Likes

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

1 Like

“The Marketing Division of the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation were described as a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.”
—Douglas Adams*

* As best I can recall.

8 Likes

Given the choice I would rather interact with a robot with a video screen in place of its face rather than this mechanical head. Computer animation has reached a point where a face can do detailed emotions AND look appealing. Even on the fly.

As an end goal, sure, a realistic human looking robot would be cool, but I would prefer the video animated face in the interim. (I say in the hopes I will actually be interacting with mobile, human-like robots one day.)

2 Likes