Watch: robot designed to mimic human facial expressions

Originally published at: Watch: robot designed to mimic human facial expressions | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Expressions yes, emotions not so well.

Still I’d like to borrow it for Teams meetings.

12 Likes

He looked like he was getting ready to puke. That’s all I got…

8 Likes

Proto Frat Boy?

3 Likes

The recent BoingBoing anti-boop robot has more subtly convincing facial expressions somehow (“Well, it’s a ‘female’ robot, in’t it?”)

4 Likes

Speaking of the Uncanny Valley:

3 Likes
2 Likes

So you’re saying that wasn’t Kavanaugh testifying before a Senate confirmation committee, but a cleverly designed robot.

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

At least it does a better job then that Zuckerberg one.

3 Likes

[Donald Trump comparison]

So it’s not successful replicating human expressions, then?

As Frankie Boyle once pointed out, on top of everything else, he is such a weird dude.

1 Like

I thought of a this guy, without the patter:

4 Likes

Yeah, although still a little weird, the Garner Holt Robot is way better than some of these other uncanny valley human robot things going around instagram lately. Kinda reminds me of the early days of CGI when it was mostly computer technicians creating the animation and although it was technologically cool, it was lacking a certain artistry that came later when animation studios like pixar and disney added actual skill in art and acting to the technology. Obviously Disney has been making animatronics since the 60s and Garner Holt has been building a lot of those in recent years. Although I dont think they let him replace the lincoln in Disneyland with his version just yet.

Adam Sandler does the same thing
Loling

Reminds me of Peter Serafinowicz

Reminds me of Abed, who is a human designed to mimic robotic facial expressions.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (5)

1 Like

Like others who commented before me, all I can see are the expressions of a drunken rapist. Maybe it’s an aftereffect of the Drew “Rapist” Clinton post above this one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.