This guy made a little robot that mimics his expressions

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/23/this-guy-made-a-little-robot-t.html

4 Likes

That’s pretty cool, but the longer I watched the more creeped out I became. The movement and tracking of the eyes is life like and for a few microseconds I almost thought it was real. Then I woke up.

3 Likes

Roger That!

1 Like

I actually tried this little guy out in person at SIGGRAPH last week. It’s a lot less spooky in real life, and quite endearing. Which itself may be spooky.

3 Likes

Very cool. Having worked in puppetry, mask and animatronics for many years I can attest that “less is more” when it comes to conveying emotions from a character face. Having all the bells and whistles constantly twitching about (usually because the film producer feels since they spent so much money on these damned things they had better wiggle all the time) doesn’t make a character (or bot) more believable, realistic or lifelike - quite the contrary. We ourselves use our faces as masks all the time. An example from another animated form - the cartoons of Chuck Jones (especially One Froggy Evening) show what can be communicated with just a simple shift in expression around the eyes.

6 Likes

Buy it use it break it fix it trash it change it mail upgrade it Charge it point it zoom it press it snap it work it quick erase it Write it cut it paste it save it load it check it quick rewrite it Plug it play it burn it rip it drag it drop it zip - unzip it Lock it fill it call it find it view it code it jam unlock it Surf it scroll it pause it click it cross it crack it switch update it Name it read it tune it print it scan it send it fax rename it Touch it bring it pay it watch it turn it leave it stop format it…

Big deal, even a baby can mimic facial expressions. I used to have one, but it got too big.

3 Likes

Fantastic. Years of honing my defenses against the qualia zombies; and now I learn it’s the qualia androids I need to worry about.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.