Dirt therapy: Help this incredible community farm in Bellingham, Washington build a greenhouse by the freeway

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/17/585807.html

3 Likes

I used to live in site line of that freeway sign on that street back in the late 80s/early 90s. It was a rental with a bunch of gutter punks.

If I recall, I dumped a giant industrial soup pot of stew that had gone bad in that greenway at 3am, in a typical group rental fiasco where it got left out on the counter so long it moved solid. We didn’t want it in the garbage, and 24 hours elapsed while the house had fruitless discussions on what to do with the bad soup. I took action, and dumped it, washed the pot up, and left it on the counter to avoid further arguments. I’m still not sure why it was a big deal, but we were young.

I always liked Bellingham.

2 Likes

There’s a Habitat for Humanity RE-Store in Bellingham:
http://www.hfhwhatcom.org/volunteer/store/our-store
Will they donate?
Further, would Habitat also provide some “sweat equity” crew help or supervision building the greenhouse?

There may other salvage operations that rescue glazed windows prior to building demolition. If so, for the cost of time spent getting salvaged windows, a few ACQ pickled 4"x4" posts and some tubes of caulk (hey–more opportunities to learn and gain experience), the result could be one of these:

I strongly dislike paying full retail when it comes to shoestring nonprofits and community operations. However, if those greenhouses are aesthetically objectionable from the across-the-street neighbors, maybe start here, lower cost barrier to entry:

?

I get it that glass is recyclable, and plastics are not. Glazing however is fragile, where plastic is flexible.

If there’s any justice in the world, we could recycle the plastics when we are done with them. A takeback program from the manufacturer, if nothing else.

It’s probable that Ms. Loquvam already knows of this guy, but just in case…

Would Ms. Loquvam be interested in reaching out? Does Mr. Finley have any allies in Washington State? His mission and hers have some overlap, and it’s reasonable to ask for help among local allies.

A fully closed loop system where you can get fish out of the deal, not just vegetables and fruits:

Big wow–Max Mayer’s accomplishments here are praiseworthy:

2 Likes

I’m leery of trendy new ways like this, and aquaponics is a brittle technology.

Well never mind my mild misgivings about aquaponics then! Pledge made.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.