Dirty Pictures is a riveting look at the raunchy history of underground comix

Originally published at: Dirty Pictures is a riveting look at the raunchy history of underground comix | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“I don’t know. I think I was just being a punk.”

Fascinating comment.

Not that there was any real belief in what was being done/written/drawn… Just provocation for the sake of provocation. Do it for the reaction.

Ever notice how common this has become and how it’s escalated as more provocation is needed to get the “reaction”?

Donald who?

2 Likes

And for the record, as a 12 year old when I stumbled on a copy of Zap #4… I liked it.

No mention of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, Mr Natural or Zippy The Pinhead (Are we having fun yet?)

2 Likes

I’ve still got some copies of Zap Comix stashed away in a cupboard upstairs, I must dig them out and see which ones they are; there might even be a #4 there.
I always loved Crumb’s art and stories, and Rick Griffin has long been a favourite of mine, I have a reproduction of a poster he did for an Electric Ballroom concert with Jimi Hendrix, John Mayall and Albert King on my wall right behind me now.
I also have some Fabulous Furry Freak Bros kicking around as well, probably in the same place.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.