Disco cover of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" from 1979

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/02/disco-cover-of-lou-reeds-w.html

3 Likes

NO. Also, why?

1 Like

Sometimes you feel compelled to try. Of course that doesn’t mean you’ll succeed.

@NashRambler
@brad_quinn

You poor souls, you weren’t there in the 70’s to boogie the nights away.

7 Likes

It is an abomination unto the LORD.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure every single Herbie Mann album from about 1968 on has a cover of some rock or RnB hit, and he also constantly changed his style to try and be hip, so this isn’t that strange in his discography. The real mystery is why he needed to appear shirtless on so many album covers.

4 Likes

Have you solved it? Asking for a friend…

3 Likes

What would the theoretically most inappropriate artist to make a disco cover of be? Morrissey? It would be Morrissey.

3 Likes

I am trying to picture disco versions of Metallica and Iron Maiden songs in my head, but the problem I am facing are that they kinda work!!

Damn you Disco, and all your groovy minions!

3 Likes

Ethyl Merman.

7 Likes

I once saw him on a triple bill with him, followed by Pharaoh Sanders (who blew him away) followed by McCoy Tyner (who blew the house down). Also, uh, I kinda actually like this song…It certainly beats out the Marky Mark version.

1 Like

I like the Brave Combo “mash-up” of it with Do The Hustle personally…

1 Like

You’re welcome

2 Likes

Leonard Cohen.

3 Likes

I would say gabber and hardcore techno are out, as they are descendants of disco. How about Napalm Death?

1 Like

Wretched. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

“Jazz flautist”

Makes me laugh, every time. I don’t need to listen for it to get funnier - it’s as funny as it can be just in its description.

1 Like

That bad? (I haven’t listened yet; I’m at work.)

I mean, I like disco… and I like Reed’s Walk on the Wild Side…

2 Likes

I like disco and Lou Reed too. Just not together. “Walk on the Wild Side” is kind of lonely and sad. That sax is rather haunting. Add a disco beat and you lose all that.

2 Likes