Disney+ covered up Daryl Hannah's bare butt in Splash

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/13/disney-covered-up-daryl-hanna.html

1 Like

FUN FACT: The original cut of The Little Mermaid involved full-frontal nudity until Michael Eisner ordered the directors to digitally conceal Ariel’s glistening naked body with a sail.

12 Likes

So basically what the original did with her breasts. But digitally. Progress.

1 Like

I assume they messed with this scene too. Which is a tragedy, because it was secretly my favorite part of the movie as a kid even though it provided unrealistic expectations for both women’s derrières and how well a long hairstyle can withstand a swim in the ocean.

19 Likes

Tramp stamp, clone stamp, what’s the difference?

LITERALLY UNWATCHABLE

…seriously, I kinda hate these edits, like ET with walkie talkies, Han not shooting first, and Monday Friday planes

Who are we protecting, and from what?

A: Idiots from ideas, I guess.

12 Likes

It looks horrible… just cut the scene a second short, cut back to him watching, and then back to her in the ocean.

Or, you know, let kids see a butt. Everyone has butts. The Puritans died out like 200+ years ago.

What is that referring too? The ET edit was ridiculous. That Han edit is to this day mind boggling.

10 Likes

One reason I have more respect for Spielberg than Lucas is that Spielberg later conceded he’d made a terrible mistake making those “Special Edition” changes to E.T. and reverted back to the original cut for subsequent releases such as the Blu-Ray edition.

13 Likes

because they had no butts!

21 Likes

It’s the bowdlerized Samuel L. Jackson line vocally lamenting the abundance of motherfucking snakes on his motherfucking plane.

3 Likes

Samuel L MUTHAfunkinJACKSON in Snakes on a Plane

2 Likes

OH - hahaha.

I do find it funny when they edit language to this sorta nonsense cursing. I guess for the TV edit of R movies, it’s ok.

2 Likes

This is now cannon.

3 Likes

They’d better have kept in John Candy’s classic line:

10 Likes

They’re kind of still with us. In droves. We’re probably the most sexually-uptight, naked-challenged country in the world.

11 Likes

When I first saw a video of the Star Wars bits that were changed/added, I assumed they were fan-created jokes making fun of how bad the real changes were, because I just couldn’t believe they had made something so awful, much less thought they were improvements.

This feels the same way. It’s so badly done at a time when hair simulation has gotten amazingly good, that’s it’s conspicuously bad. I can only assume someone had a last minute shufti at the films and suddenly decided the scene wasn’t acceptable, and someone had like two hours to create a fix.

At least that has the advantage of being hilarious. (Even sometimes intentionally so.)

1 Like

They were never able to sit down. The stress from that finally did them in.

2 Likes

Honest-to-goodness line from “Die Hard” dubbed for daytime TV: “Now I’m really miffed! Let’s get those funsters!”

5 Likes

Lord knows what they would do to Sheena of the Jungle these days.

3 Likes

That’s the scene I thought was being discussed. It’s longer than the snippet shown in the blog post.

Wasn’t it a Touchstone film? They started having films that were less PG, so they called them Touchstone films.

2 Likes