Disney fires man for taking paternity leave; judge rules it's not discrimination because he didn't give birth

See, that’s what bothers me about MRA’s. “Men’s Rights Activist” isn’t, on it’s own and without context, an objectionable phrase. Children need their parents, and their parents need bonding time with the children. This case clearly demonstrates that one gender is discriminated against socially, professionally and judicially, in this area if in no others. In this case, what we should expect is a certain level of activism, with respects to the rights of men. And yet, because a subset of misogynistic dipshits who hate women and want to put them back in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant have wrapped their women-hating bullshit in the term “Men’s Rights Activist”, so now the entire concept is discredited and there’s room for actual discrimination in the law.

It’s just like the phrase “All Lives Matter”. On it’s own, without context, those three words are perfectly fine: all lives do, indeed, matter. The problem of course is that, in practice, Black lives don’t seem to matter as much in the eyes of the law or society. The entire BLM movement is about saying “Black lives matter, too”. It’s just that a reactionary racist movement that wants to put “those people” back in their place has co-opted a perfectly benign phrase and turned it into a hate mantra.

So how does one fight this sort of legalized discrimination? “Men’s rights activism” is now a dead phrase, and I don’t think “Actual Normal Gender Equality Activists” is going to take off.

4 Likes

The last goes beyond a phrase, though. For decades there have been a lot of feminist activists focused on equal rights for all, and who can push for change that benefits everyone. The Equal Rights Amendment was finally ratified by the crucial 38th state this year, for example. While conservatives will now move to trying to challenge it in the courts, if it goes into effect it can be a means granting men the same kind of parental leave rights that women have.

Equal rights (really equitable rights, but not men’s rights or women’s rights) a long hard fight for social justice, which is why trying to enlist MRAs is a waste of time and resources – especially if we’re trying to do it on the basis of awakening their class consciousness. They, like the Know-Nothing 27% of the electorate, are a write-off.

12 Likes

that’s where the hr department is supposed to come in. hr training in big companies tends to be pretty uniform, there’s no other way for them to get so big.

id guess, without looking closer, that this is probably (?) a wholly owned subsidiary or something like that. so not disney hr. but that’s just a guess

2 Likes

No paternity/maternity leave here, but I have accrued enough vacation over the last several years that for the past 3, I have been in a ‘use it or lose it’ position. Our HR dept. frequently sends out, in these cases, e-mails encouraging us to donate our surplus vacation to a ‘time bank’ for people who have used up their vacation and/or sick leave and still need more because of medical issues. Naturally they are the gatekeepers determining eligibility for the time bank.

I started taking a day here and there to use up the overage, after consulting with staff to figure out when I would have the smallest impact on operations. Strangely enough, Admin started scheduling mandatory meetings for the middle of the days I requested leave. Make of that what you may.

8 Likes

Yup. This. HR’s job is to protect the company. Sometimes this benefits the worker, but it’s not by design.

13 Likes

Except it’s likely not the case the men are actively discriminated against in family courts:

the most interest stat they note is how women tend to get custody more, but that 83% of those cases are by agreement of BOTH parties.

The author also points out that whatever inequities that do exist are largely due to the patriarchal structures and gender stereotyping. You deal with that underlying stuff, you have a better chance of equity in courtrooms regarding child custody arrangements.

8 Likes

This is strictly an MRA issue, and so-called “men’s rights” is the thin edge of misogyny. By invading the area of maternity leave, you’re attacking women. Men do not and should not need to take maternity leave for any reason, but women — obviously — do. Claiming so-called “paternity” rights devalues and weakens the right for women to have children without sacrificing career.

The judge ruled correctly. He claimed paternity leave and got it, then got what he deserved. End of story.

Let me get this right: you are saying that he claimed what he was due under the law and because of this he deserved to be sacked.

You may object to a law that grants paternity leave; you may think that enabling fathers to play an active role in early/post-birth childcare really does weaken the right of women to have children without sacrificing careers; you may even be perverse enough think that it is ‘just’ that this father ‘sacrificed’ his career by taking a right other women in the past may have similarly sacrificed their career for…

But whatever your thinking might be let’s all hope that you never find yourself relying on a clear law only for some technicality to not only deprive you of the benefit you assumed it granted you, but to also end up making your situation considerably worse. I’m sure we’re all fervently hoping that for you. /s

16 Likes

Have you had kids? Being able to spend those first few weeks with mom and baby is irreplaceable. I only got one week, and would have loved more if I could have. Bit I also would not trade that week for anything. Leaving a woman who just birthed a baby to take care of herself and her baby al9ne is brutally inhuman.

17 Likes

This is true - women in same sex marriages who have kids but aren’t the birth mother don’t need parental leave.

And obviously no gay married couples ever do.

:no_good_woman:

17 Likes

One key reason women face job discrimination over their reproductive decisions is the sexist assumption that a mother has a duty to stay home and raise the children while a father does not.

22 Likes

I fail to understand this argument.

Maternity leave absolutely needs legal protection-- I don’t disagree. But how does extending parental leave to fathers take anything away from women? Disclaimer-- I’ve never had children, but from all I’ve heard, bringing home a new baby can be a stressful time for both mother and child. I’d think being able to have the father home to provide support for both could only be beneficial. It’s also hugely stereotypical and damaging to assume that women should shoulder the brunt of parenting demands… which is going to happen if men can’t take time off to help. Not to mention, this family just lost a significant chunk of income now that the dad’s out of work. How does that help anyone?

IMHO, the judge not only made the wrong call, but set a very dangerous precedent. If businesses are allowed to fire people for exercising their rights for leave under the law, how long do you think it will take before that’s weaponized against maternity leaves? Instead of arguing to take rights away from any group, we need to concentrate on expanding workers’ rights for all sexes and genders-- and make sure people won’t be penalized or fired for acting in their families’, and their own, best interest.

18 Likes

Narrator: It doesn’t.

Rights and equality aren’t pie; more for someone else doesn’t somehow mean less for me.

20 Likes

carrie-fisher-noooo

Um, no. Men need time off to help with the baby, bond, in some cases, help feed it, support the mother. This doesn’t even get into same sex couples who adopt or have a surrogate carry a baby for them.

The best solution is to create a category called family leave, where you get time off to deal with any number of issues that might come up - from a new baby, to caring for a sick partner, to caring for elderly parents, all of which can impact either person in a relationship.

But… but! That’s WOMEN’S work! It’s men’s role to PROVIDE! Why do you hate America and God, Doc! WHHYYYYY!!! /s

sponge-bob-sarcastic-sb

18 Likes

17 Likes

Expect lots more decisions like this after Barrett has been shoved down the country’s throat. Originalism at work:: seizing on a textual point and massaging it to produce the outcome the Corporation desires. Working this case out was fairly simple. We’ll see some triumphs of contortionism once the big cases reach the Supreme Court.

5 Likes

Maybe this is what you were referring to, but for the benefit of those that are unaware, that’s precisely what already exists in NY, CA, and a number of other states. Needs to be a federal program available for everyone in the country though.

8 Likes

Birth is not a zero-sum-game.

12 Likes

it’s at the very least +1, and sometimes more. ( eight clearly being enough. )

8 Likes

…now I feel kinda ungrateful. I work for a massive entertainment conglomerate. Not quite Disney’s rival but probably a close 3rd. You might have their internet, landline, cellphone and/or cable service in NE, SE, NW, West-ish side of the Midwest and Houston TX in the US. Maybe. If you guessed it, you’re probably right. They’re hiring RIGHT NOW. I…might have to complain less abt certain things. Huh.

Our corporate trainer is an openly gay man who took something like 2 months off to adopt a baby with his husband. He had to come back for abt 3 weeks because something he wrote or co-authored needed his input then took another 3.5 months off to bond with the baby. It’s been 4 yrs since then.

That kid is the sassiest, most opinionated, confident and ponytailed future go-getter. Speech/grammar, manners and sense of style are hair raisingly advanced. Not surprising though, both daddies have several degrees between them. Which the company pays 60 to 80% of the tuition for if it’s in programs/degrees that advance their company which is kind of a “duh” statement but you have to work there for at least 5 to 8 yrs after.

They’re thinking of adopting another child and I fully expect them to take another half of the year off with 0 problems. The company also put them in contact with reputable agencies and legal services needed to get these types of things going. There are financial firms working with the company specifically to help finance these types of things. This is paid time off, too.

If you can be a smile on command, corporate drone it’s the perfect job. And you BETTER smile on command or they’ll start bullshit like, “you’re bringing everyone down! I know half your family under the age of 22 died within weeks of each other, I KNOW, but you should be HAPPY that you still have a JOB! Others are not so fortunate! So! I know you all are working permanently from home now, BUT YOU MUST HAVE THE CAMER ON.”

I…was going to quit. I was thinking of self harm. My family died. Only I had a job. Only I can pay the bills. I have to stay.

9 Likes