Disney paid 'at least' $177 million to settle #pinkslime lawsuit over ABC News reports on gross meat product

Yeah. My ‘take-home’ is it’s unwise to have high expectations for the products (and processes) of the mass-production meat industry or news media with a business model based on advertising.

Big ups to the journalists and farmers who care about the impact of their work and those who make it easier for us to support them.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. I don’t find healthy food disgusting. I find food that’s manufactured in certain ways disgusting. What’s worse is when companies try to hide it from the public. Seems to me this information ought to be made more public, and if the companies don’t want to make it public, then journalists have the duty to do so. This ruling is going to discourage such reporting (and in other areas too, no doubt). It’s a dangerous precedent.

Actually mechanical deboning allows a certain amount of bone bits to be included. I don’t really want to eat bone either. How do I know that a 2" shard won’t somehow get into the food? And I choke on it?

I don’t necessarily want every bit of material coming from a food animal. I don’t eat chicken feathers. Sometimes I buy ground poultry, from a small grocery store that I kind of trust. I’m just hoping we don’t have a scandal where we find out that feathers (which are made of beta-keratin) are ground up, purified, turned into pure protein and added to the mix, given humans can’t digest it.

I guess we have different standards. I find a lot of the highly industrialized and mechanized food manufacturing I read about kind of sensational in a bad way.

And so what if it was sensationalized? Calling the additive “pink slime” was very descriptive. It got people’s attention, and people decided they didn’t want it. So what if it’s edible. A lot of disgusting things are edible, and people vary as to what they will accept. If enough people think this stuff shouldn’t be in food, they vote with their dollars. If a company is really acting in a traditional, competitive market, then they should respond in a competitive way: realize a lot of people don’t want the product and make changes so they will again. Find another market for pink slime. If it’s so healthy, sell it to pet food companies. (Of course if pet owners find out, they also might object.)

But suing to silence the media (and, worse, winning) is very disturbing, for what’s supposed to be a democracy – fourth estate and all that.

3 Likes

Not to mention pesticide and herbicide load.

1 Like

If Thomas Keller or Heston Blumenthal served a transglutamate ‘deconstructed reconstructed’ meat/glue nugget with microgreens from their onsite garden and locally sourced honey in the mustard sauce, they could charge 40 dollars a plate for it. Naw…that’s silly, make that 140.

1 Like

Would it be possible to get a list of all grocery stores selling Beef Products Inc.so that we could avoid them?

Just go to a local butcher with a good reputation. You will likely get fresher products and better quality meat. This of course isn’t a feasible option for everyone but if one is able to do so i would recommend checking out a butcher.

That’s not what processed means, though.

By which process does the meat you eat reach you?

That’s not how definitions work.

Fine, you win.

What’s commonly thought of as processed meat is changed, adulerated meat. I’m just saying that even most meat that people think is not changed or adulerated actually is. Usually in ways they wouldn’t like, or try to ignore.

Now you’re just making stuff up.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.