Disney re-releasing Werewolf By Night in color

Originally published at: Disney re-releasing Werewolf By Night in color | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Human by daaaaayyy…
Werewolf by niiiiiggghhht…
Eight Marvel strangers
who just get in a fight.
Who just get in a fiiigggggghhhhht

(apologies to Al Jarreau)

2 Likes

I loved it being in black and white- it was perfect for this movie.

10 Likes

Agree, black and white worked perfectly for the idea they were going for. It was a fun little one off that didn’t tie into anything else (Marvel, take note… more of this, please).

3 Likes

Ugh, I don’t get why anyone would release a color version of a film that was released in black & white on purpose. It’s almost like colorizing Schindler’s List or the black & white scenes in Memento and The Wizard of Oz.

6 Likes

I just hope they don’t do it with Ed Wood, which Disney owns the rights to. (Also, why is that film available on Disney+ globally but not here in the U.S.?)

3 Likes

Oh, I remember the trailer. I should go check it out - is it any good?

1 Like

It’s really very fun. Maybe my favorite thing Marvel did last year.

6 Likes

This is dumb for multiple reasons, but the main one for me is that given they chose to make it in black and white, everything about how it was filmed (the sets, the lighting, the way it was shot, the exposure, contrast, etc.) should have been done with it being black and white in mind. This isn’t - or shouldn’t be, if you’re competent - just like turning on a B&W filter on a camera phone; it’s qualitatively different.

2 Likes

The man who wasn’t there.

Personally, I don’t care for the color grading in this version of MWWT. It looks great in black and white, and that’s the version I watched.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it a lot. I would recommend watching it in black and white.

I wonder if maybe they were originally planning a sequel this Halloween, but the writers’ and actors’ strikes made that impossible so they decided to release a color version instead? That’s the only possible justification I can imagine for doing this.

3 Likes

Seems like a cash grab to me. Sure, it didn’t really have the look and feel of a 50’s B movie or a Universal monster film and unlike the Blade or Vampire Tales comics, the comic was in color but they were going for a particular mood and aesthetic and then switched to a color aftermath. I enjoyed the special and didn’t think of a need to change their artistic choices. It will still, of course, appeal to fans for a new “special edition” and people who will only appreciate more modern-looking films.

Meh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.