Disney World's large, expensive, Star Wars-themed, windowless hotel to close

If one is concerned about windows so much, look at it this way.

In its current form, there are plenty of viewscreens mimicking windows, showing some interesting space scenery with movement.

If they were real windows, you’d notice that you’re still earthbound, with a view of some Star-Wars-themed sculpted shrubbery or maybe a giant static mural of space scenery. :man_shrugging:

11 Likes

Disney World’s large, expensive, Star Wars-themed, windowless hotel to close

and nothing of value will be lost.

4 Likes

I hear they’re gonna replace it with a fully immersive Narkina 5 simulation.

3 Likes

The good news is that there’s some low-intensity LARPing still built into the Star Wars area of the park (at least at Disneyland) if that’s your bag. My friend and I had a lot of fun playing double agents for the First Order, although I slipped up and almost got caught by Rey (who looked and sounded exactly like the movie version). Didn’t cost anywhere close to $5k, plus there was fresh air and sunshine.

7 Likes

I think the bigger problem is… does the entire family want 100% star wars immersion? There are a lot of other parks and restaurants and experiences from other movies that Orlando has to offer. It might be too much to ask an entire family to dedicate their whole trip into a walled in experience. A divided family, where not everyone enjoys SW, with limited time and money will probably not be able to consider the hotel.

1 Like

After watching the video – That’s a lot of cell phones getting in the way.

1 Like

I was at Disneyland three weeks ago and my favorite attraction was the Star Wars ride: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance/ It’s well done, pretty interactive, doesn’t take two days and is included with the cost of the park. Much better deal, IMO.

2 Likes

For an only slightly lower-key experience that won’t quite break the bank so badly, there’s always Secret Cinema…

2 Likes

We’ll, forking out $5k for the Kaiburr Crystal cocktail might definitely feel like " like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick." YMMV. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They’ll turn it into America Sings

1 Like

I went, and it was AWESOME. Incredibly immersive, and super fun. Everyone had something to do. The team really catered to all ages. I had two teenage boys with me, and if you know anything about that, you know it’s hard to impress them, but even they got into it, And if you were SUPER into it, you could go all the way down that rabbit hole with custom adventures and branching storylines. I’d say in most families, there was a parent who was super into it, another parent who wasn’t, and a few kids who ran the gamut, (most were into it) and yet even the ones who weren’t fired up, ended up having fun, many dressing up by the end, etc. It was really quite impressive. The food was really good and adventurous, and as mentioned the immersion was great. Yes, it was pricey, but they were basically running a three day immersive interactive play, on a giant 3D techno-set, with catering and services. Plus you got VIP access to the park and key Star Wars rides. It was a chunk of change but I’m SO glad I did it. Sad others won’t be able to experience it. Maybe they could have trimmed the price a little over time. WELL worth it.

9 Likes

I just hope they they eventually build the Star Wars table-service restaurant and dinner show that was originally planned for Galaxy’s edge. There’s still space that was set aside for it next to Oga’s cantina.

Pretty much all table-service restaurants in Disneyland are fully booked weeks or months in advance, and Oga’s cantina is always busy too, so it seems like the demand exists for something like that. And maybe they could repurpose some of the show sets and other elements that were built for the hotel dining room.

The old concept art for this restaurant seems to show a Hutt-type creature singing on a central stage and I am totally there for that.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m SO glad you posted, because I thought surely, SURELY someone has been.

My best friend and I are considering attempting to get there before it closes and I’m glad to hear someone here liked it. (Our husbands obviously think we’re insane). As a theatre person who has been to Sleep No More four times, I think I might get a lot out of it!

But really? No long time disney/bbs stalwarts have done it??? I find this shocking!!!

3 Likes

A friend of mine and his wife who are big Star Wars fans went to it and loved it as well.

1 Like

Wow, that was fast. What a waste of what must have been a huge construction and prop-building job.

It was never my thing so I wouldn’t have gone, but I’m shocked to see it fail so quickly.

1 Like

I know that the popular thought is that the HQ move was cancelled because of DeSantis, but from a friend of mine who works at Disney streaming, there’s a big concern that as a company they’re in a LOT of financial trouble. That the streaming isn’t going anywhere, they’re over leveraged on a lot of the properties they own, they’re not making nearly the profit in the parks that they want to because it’s just complex and overfilled, and that there’s just a lot of divisions not only not meeting their targets but not even staying positive on the balance sheet. That it’s been a lot of Ls for them.

It’s possible this closing is just another sign of Disney starting to cut back on their expenditures of things not making money, and that it’s just the start of layofffs and closures and shutdowns to come.

1 Like

Looking at the bunk beds in the picture…
Set for another attempt at making an American version of Red Dwarf ?

3 Likes

… somewhere deep in the bowels of Disneyland there is a break room where a dozen identical Rey clones take turns using the microwave :thinking:

9 Likes

I know perfectly well what’s meant, and that that’s not how it works, but I can’t help wanting each adjective in the title to be necessary for disambiguation, and the, for example, small expensive Star-Wars-themed windowless hotel is doing just fine.

1 Like

“Everybody’s dead, Mickey.”

3 Likes