Disney's obsession with doe-eyed, button nosed female animated characters

Especially true for sitcoms. George Constanza was supposed to be some kind of trollish, undatable loser who was unattractive both inside and out. Yet he somehow managed a whopping 47 sexual partners over the nine-season run of Seinfeld, almost all of whom were conventionally attractive if not downright stunning.

1 Like

Life is much easier when scripted.

1 Like

I would like to point out that Brad Bird directed most of the movies where the main female characters don’t fit this argument. I doubt this information is helpful, but I like Brad Bird.

1 Like

Observational bias? You see 99 boring homeless people scrounging for their kids, getting through the day and going to jobs despite living in a car and nothing registers; you see one more who’s screaming at the sky with his pants around his ankles while shaking his wang, and you think of all homeless people like that because that’s what’s memorable.

2 Likes

That’s actually really cool, thank you! Still don’t know how she was supposed to act according to chickieD, though…

1 Like

Well, yeah, if your world didn’t exist before 2000.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140810224020/disney/images/8/8b/Walt-Disney-Screencaps-Princess-Cinderella-walt-disney-characters-34912909-4374-3240.jpg

Only two of these are doe-eyed and one is an actual doe. Looks like they just reflect child standards of the time. But whatever.

1 Like

Sounds like a good article. Disney is shit.

Interestingly enough, the most common elements of manga (and thus anime) character design are due to the influence of the Osamu Tezuka, the ‘God of Manga’, the undisputed master of the form - he more or less created what we now think of as manga, and is, with no real competition, the biggest influence on the entire form.

His primary influence? The one that gave him the idea for the stylistic elements that would be so commonly (but not universally) adopted? The earlier works of Walt Disney.

5 Likes

The terrible and truly annoying thing about Disney is that everything they do is so fucking, um, I think the current term is “normative.” It is a product of attempting to appeal to the widest possible audience. For example, the end result of having the Latina character look like any white mall rat is an unstated suggestion that, sure, it’s okay to be different so long as you try hard to be like the most bland example of the most normal person you can imagine.

Ick. This is my instant reaction to anything Disney.

3 Likes

While her analysis regarding female Disney characters seems technically correct, I personally cannot abide the “at rest” or “posed” expression of almost all Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks animated characters: that is, a half-smile plus the one eyebrow up/one eyebrow down. Once you see it, you cannot miss seeing it in practically every character at all times.

Argumentum ad antiquitatem - That it is how popular media has always worked is irrelevant. People are concerned about various aspects of how popular media works and has always worked, and this is one of the aspects that people are concerned about.

2 Likes

No, it actually invalidates this ridiculous “complaint”.

If you take any decade and look at the art done during that decade, you’ll see huge similarities. Artists steal from each other all the time. Look at the animation being done in the 40s: all the women look the same. Or the 50s. They see what the public responds to, and re-use or borrow what works well. Yes, a lot of the female heroines among animated features by all animation companies look similar right now. Nothing unusual about that whatsoever.

I think that there are so many ways to signify culture. It could be through food, or through voice, or expressions, or dress… I agree that she doesn’t need to be walking around with a pile of fruit on her head or anything, but if the intent was that she was Latina, I wish they had done enough that someone like me, going into the movie without knowing anything about the story, could grok it.

Now for a movie that really hits you over the head with Mexican themes, there’s The Book of Life. I’m putting it here in the discussion thread because I LOVED this movie and think it got SCREWED at the Academy Awards. I thought it was so innovative and beautiful. Of course the protagonist has a button nose and doe eyes :smile:

1 Like

Not only this, but in US media Latinas are also nearly always stereotyped as being Hispanic, when in reality many of them are French and Italian also. Much of Canadian culture is as Latin as Mexican culture - but in different ways.

Everyone here has missed the more disturbing long-term trend.
From “Snow White” through “Frozen,” we see heroines with a gradually increasing ratio of size of eyes to size of the entire face.
Clearly Disney is grooming us for acceptance of their ultimate goal: Unleashing female human-Tarsier monkey hybrids to subjugate the world.

5 Likes

Who button-doe what-what?

1 Like

I, for one, welcome our new … well, you know the rest.

2 Likes

Well, in the U.S., “Latina” refers to a woman or girl with strong connections to “Latin America.” (Or, according to some standards, one can have connections to Spain or Portugal instead of the Americas, and still qualify.) The French and the Italians (don’t forget Romania!) are Latin peoples, but would not be classified as “Latinas” or “Latinos” according to current usage in the US.

1 Like

So we can get a scene like this?

It’d honestly be refreshing if we had better representation of people of all skin tones, and we acted like it wasn’t a big deal.

1 Like

I think the idea is to make diversity commonplace enough that it is no longer a big deal.

3 Likes