Distressed kayaker saved by priests on a floating tiki bar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/09/distressed-kayaker-saved-by-pr.html

8 Likes

That’s quite a thread title. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Hermits on a Tki boat? Ah, that’s the Paulines, these were the Paulist Fathers.

The Society’s mission is to evangelize—preach the gospel or give information with the intention of converting people to Catholicism—the people of North America in a manner suited to the continent’s culture.

Okay, that explains the Tiki boat, I guess

But what religion, if any, was the crew of the Tiki boat, who actually rescued him? Or is it good to be specific?

9 Likes

I’m calling it right now “Runner up: Headline of the Year”!

(The winner will be: “Biden wins in historic landslide.”)

4 Likes

Dr. Tiki and Johnny Johnny are here to save the day.

2 Likes

When I bought a kayak a few years ago, knowing almost nothing about them, I was annoyed to discover that stores still sell paddles that do not float. It shouldn’t be hard to fill lightweight metal or aluminum paddles with some foam or substance to make them float. But manufacturers or customers would have to pay more, so we get cheap sinking paddles in the 21st Century. I ended up buying a frickin leash to keep my cheap paddle from sinking. I suppose it also serves the purpose of preventing paddles that float from floating away. I am still pissed.

7 Likes

saved by priests on a floating tiki boat? i’d definitely want to know more about that religion.

4 Likes

Thought the headline was maybe a Mad Lib.

4 Likes

This is basically how those Irish monks discovered Iceland and North America.

7 Likes

God " I sent a fireman, a boat, and a helicopter, what else did you want"

Kayaker "Maybe a priest on a floating tiki bar?’

15 Likes

It’s nice when things work out okay in the end.

4 Likes

Ephemerisle lives on.

Ex-Catholic here. Don’t think I ever met a priest who didn’t drink, smoke or both.

One of our visiting priests once had his case of priest things pop open as he was coming into church, and a bottle of gin went rolling across the vestibule floor.

6 Likes

I have heard it said that “Wherever four Christians are gathered, there is always a fifth.”

(The straight reading being that God is with them, but the joke being that they’re sharing a fifth of liquor - I had to have it explained to me, but found it pretty funny still!)

5 Likes

as a former catholic (and a one-time altar boy), i believe you.

1 Like

OK

No. Well there’s a very tiny chance but no evidence whatsoever.

I bet they were drinking Singapore Slings because Bénédictine.

Also the video has a great headline: “Recovering addict rescued by floating tiki bar on Lake George.”

Wish him the best.

1 Like

:grin:

10 Likes

And anyhoo, I’m playing pretty fast and loose with the word “discovered” here, considering they would have found the place already thoroughly populated. But it’s fun to imagine an 8th Century Irish booze cruise stumbling into Newfoundland.

2 Likes

On the other hand,

How do you keep a Mormon from drinking all your beer on a fishing trip?

Invite two Mormons.

5 Likes