Distressed kayaker saved by priests on a floating tiki bar

Interesting. This headline reminds me of a quote from an NPR story about Tiki bars:

4 Likes

1 Like

I was going to guess something like “keep it warm”.

I prefer Tim Severin’s voyage on the currach Brendan as proof that it could have been done. But there’s still no reason to believe it was done.

Now Iceland on the other hand, there’s circumstantial evidence at least. The place names are pretty convincing and of course Ari Fróði outright tells us in Íslendingabók that there had been Irish monks there and that they went away and left their books and bells behind when the Norse came. But there still isn’t a shred of archaeological evidence, even though every stone on Papey has been overturned by researchers.

…one day…

5 Likes

Jews don’t recognize Jesus as the son of God, Protestants don’t recognize the Pope, and Baptists don’t recognize each other in the liquor store.

6 Likes

Also a very ex-Catholic, but I would hang out on a tiki bar boat with them. The very Irish drunkards really can be fine company.

1 Like

1 Like

What’s the sense of being an eejit if you’re not going to be a mad eejit?

1 Like

It sure would be awkward for a teetotaler to lead the Sacrament of Communion:

”…then He took a cup of wine, blessed it, and giving it to them, said: ‘All of you drink of this; for this is My blood of the new covenant which is being shed for many unto the forgiveness of sins.’ But I’m going to have to pass myself because I never touch the stuff.”

3 Likes

Fine. I don’t think I ever met a priest who didn’t drink outside the professional context. Happy now?

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.