District Attorney Sandra Doorley's traffic stop bodycam video exposes entitled meltdown

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/29/district-attorney-sandra-doorleys-traffic-stop-bodycam-video-exposes-entitled-meltdown.html

11 Likes

Unethical DA’s? say it aint so

10 Likes

In 2015, Doorley switched her party affiliation to the GOP

from

Once again, the press isn’t pointing out members of the party claiming to be pro-police and law enforcement really do not believe the law should apply to them.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

ETA:

29 Likes

Sounds like she’s found her forever home.

I’m surprised she didn’t have a PBA “courtesy card” to flash at the cop. You’d think that a DA who comes into contact with a lot of cops would have managed to get her hands on one somehow. Maybe they just don’t like her much.

14 Likes

They see the law as a tool to further their interests. They are very much in favour of the police wielding that tool.

10 Likes

Maybe mention what state Monroe county is in next time. I’d wager that there is more than one Monroe county in the USA.

17 Likes

yes, thank you from Monroe county.
to my relief, it was not florida.
this time.

15 Likes

And it’s interesting that the body cams kept working for the entire encounter-with a white woman-instead of mysteriously failing about 10 seconds into an encounter with a Black person.

15 Likes

right?!
reminds me of the recent traffic stop in Surfside (Miami) where entitled white woman of some renown, cries during stop for erratic driving, then files complaint with department heads. cop’s bodycam got the entire exchange, but because she felt “disrespected”, the cop is facing ethics investigation for not being “compassionate”. uh huh, when are cops compassionate when dealing with traffic violations?
and if she were a woman of color, unknown, just driving through this very wealthy enclave, she would have beenshown zero compassion and possibly detained (or worse)

13 Likes

Party affiliation in the Rochester, NY area is fairly fluid. Doorley flipped from Democrat to Republican after she got elected. Her predecessor Mike Green won his seat after he switched his party affiliation from Republican to Democrat in 2003. And current County Sheriff Todd Baxter switched from Republican to Democrat to win the seat in 2017 (he even voiced support for Trump).

7 Likes

Trust me, there is a strong Rochester presence along the Treasure Coast… (there’s even a Abbott’s Custard in Vero Beach

4 Likes

They should have immediately given her a breathalyzer and checked her for impairment just like they would have done for anyone else! She did not seem coherent.

15 Likes

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

11 Likes

The courtesy (card or not) is understood when you’re the DA and therefore a member of the gang… uh… law enforcement. DAs know that cops lie on the stand, and they let them get away with it since it’s convictions that allow DAs to make the leap to higher office. With the on-the-stand fix in, I don’t wonder about Sandra’s response.

2 Likes

Sure, but the article also mentioned Attorney General Letitia James, who is fairly well known as the NY AG at this point, due to her prosecution of some rich guy.

7 Likes

Yes, thank you! Came to say exactly this.
She seems impaired, and it made me wonder if pulling into her garage was a tactic to avoid the test…or avoid the cops seeing incriminating evidence in the car?
Either way, multi-tiered justice system for sure.

7 Likes

Lock.
Her.
Up.

7 Likes

… well, it works for most D.A.'s most of the time :thinking:

1 Like

The thing is, though, that they witnessed her making a traffic violation, speeding, which does give probable cause for an arrest, even though people generally aren’t arrested for speeding. That means they can make a search incident to the arrest, which would include anything visible in the interior of the car, including, say, an open bottle of booze. Or wine. Or beer. Or whatever. Pulling into her garage would only help her if they hadn’t actually witnessed the speeding. For example, say an anonymous tip had come in on someone with that model car fitting her description. That might provide enough for them to pull her over to investigate, but it would not provide probable cause for an arrest, so if she entered her home first, she’d probably be home safe, so to speak.

6 Likes

True, but you’re speaking to the law. I’m speaking to the lived reality, which seems to be the cops did not approach the car and look inside as they would during a roadside stop.
They didn’t even seem to get close enough to smell alcohol on her breath, as they also would during a roadside stop. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes