Ditch plastic food containers and get a 10 piece Pyrex set for $13

Some prefer the &nbsp method, but I like angle brackets. There’s a thread somewhere with little tricks like that.

4 Likes

You clever cookies.

4 Likes

Well Flint is a type of glass, and Tempering is a strengthening treatment for glass. I suppose the two may be combined.

However in our use of this Pyrex product it has chipped, which to me indicates that it is not tempered glass, because tempered glass would continue to shatter into small fragments.

So unless “Flint Tempered” is another kind of tempering, I do not think this product is tempered and appears to be ordinary glass.

You are correct, they are so marked. We never put them in the microwave though and they still became brittle.

chipping indicates nothing. i have many Pyrex pieces some dating back to the 1910’s that i still use. both SodaLime and Borosilicate recipes all types have chipped on their edges. Only Corning’s other products like correlle and pyroceram will shatter instead of chip.
I have baked up to 400 degrees in these storage containers with no problems. They aren’t plain glass. But then I am not likely to subject it to radical temp fluctuations. If the lids were any good they would not have to sell lots of replacement lids. I just put a Correlle plate on top of the storage container when i put it in the microwave. No big.

I can say it looks to be the same glass used in the mixing bowls, same coloring same thickness and they are pretty tough.

1 Like

I’ve been using these for years. Have never broken one. Easy to clean since they are clear. Nice sturdy, tight fitting covers. They are perfect. Much better than chintzy plastic that stains and melts and cracks. But if you lose plastic bowls you won’t mind so they do have one advantage.

1 Like

Don’t mean to beat this to death, but chipping means everything if you are claiming the glass is tempered. Glass comes in all kinds of formulas and strengths. Tempering however introduces internal stresses that increases the strength of the glass significantly. But that same internal stress causes the glass to fail completely even if it receives just a small chip.

I’m not saying you can’t bake in it, or that it can’t be subject to heat. I’m saying its not tempered, and I’m saying its not Pyrex. I’m saying they are banking on the misunderstanding of what the product is by leveraging the reputation of the brand name while selling crappy merchandise, and eventually destroying the brand value.

1 Like

science, f*ck yeah!!!

(just had to post this since you mention the internal stress in glass and how a chip causes complete failure, prince rupert’s drops are the coolest example of this.)

5 Likes

I primarily use these types of tupperware, largely because you can pop them into the oven or microwave directly. They are pretty fantastic. Unlike a lot of people here all my lids have tight seals and have held up 5-10 years depending on the piece. I don’t heat with the lids on though, but i do just throw them in the dishwasher. I don’t know what would cause some people to have such poor experiences with the lids but that is a bummer.

kinda. it isn’t quite so simple as that. plastic is inert and there is nothing wrong with plastic, it is great stuff, unfortunately straight plastic is very very rigid and brittle. Most of the plastic we use is a complex formulation containing several different chemical compounds as well as various plastic softeners and coloring agents. It is typically the softeners that are concerning for potential health risks, not the plastics themselves.

A number of formulations have been pulled from the market for leeching chemicals that we know are harmful to health, especially in infants. Some have just been classified as “not food safe”, and this is why we created that classification. Manufactures predominantly use food safe plastics these days. When I was younger plastic water bottles would make the water taste so strong it was barely drinkable, modern plastics don’t do this, and are thinner, lighter, stronger, and safer.

If you burn or melt a plastic in a microwave it releases carcinogenic compounds. if you heat in plastic many types release estrogenic compounds, the health effects aren’t know in adults, but they are harmful to developing children especially babies, and have been proven harmful to rats, mice, and other lab animals, it is the kind of thing that is hard to do a human study on.

The modern clear more rigged lock top tupperwares leach much less chemicals then the old clearish white cloudy tupperwares.

That being said, plastic is a wonderful material, and great for food storage.
I personally don’t heat in plastic myself, but I also don’t think the risks are all that great, especially factoring in the infrequency of exposure.

I’m thinking that they have used different formulas for the lids over the years.

2 Likes

That would make sense. My lids are almost rubbery siliconish like material, i was eyeing an off brand cheaper set about a year back and the lids for those were a harder plastic material.

We both agree they have been abusing the name Pyrex since they started playing silly buggers with the recipes. I am just saying I have Pyrex from many decades, and the edges are prone to chipping around the lips and edges. make what you will of that.

I think the universe needs to acknowledge that their home products do not stand up to the same standards as Labware. Hence meth cookers are buying up and abusing vintage pyrex instead of the new formulas prone to exploding.

3 Likes

I had that happen with a baking dish from Ikea, but fortunately not on my arms. The ikea stuff (cookware, furniture whatever) is hit and miss in my experience

1 Like

I also have a vacuum sealer, and you can seal jars with a special attachment. So, I seal up open bags of rice, dry beans, flour, sugar, etc. (you can get half gallon jars) to keep bugs out. I also seal some leftovers, like cooked rice or cooked beans and freeze them, as the jars are freezer safe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.