Ditch plastic food containers and get a 10 piece Pyrex set for $13

My folks have a couple sets of those. They still have a couple big plastic ones for salads ect, but these are great.

Given the choice of putting unknown chemicals in your food or not, i think i’d rather avoid it.

2 Likes

Which is possibly the best thing about using canning jars.

I’ve got some of these Pyrex dishes, and only one of them still has a lid left. The rest all cracked and broke after about a year of use. (The one that’s left is simply the largest one that I rarely have a reason to use. Its lid is also looking rather iffy though.)

These glass containers are nice, but not great for bike-commuting as they are quite heavy. Plastic deli-containers from a restaurant supply store are pretty great and cheap enough to recycle once they get a little funky or stained from oil. Get the ones designed for hot foods.

Pyrex (borosilicate glass) won’t shatter if dropped. Pyrex® is just cheap crap that will shatter if you look at it, though.

2 Likes

Not just the round ones. The tops just lose their mojo. We have a set of round bowls with glass tops that work very nice and can go from oven to table.

The bowls are very nice, but yeah, the lids aren’t great in the microwave. Half a dozen zaps, and mine were starting to resemble Pringles.

1 Like

Right? I’ve tried to find sets of just the tops, no luck so far.

2 Likes

Hate to be a downer, but I got these and 1. they are pyrex only in name(brand) and not in material, they are ordinary glass, not the heat resistant laboratory vessel like glass we usually associate with the name Pyrex, symptom of corporate sell-out of valuable brand names, and 2. the plastic lids are cheap and within months began chipping away and cracking. Take-away - glass storage is a great idea, but cheap-ass product exploiting valuable brand disappoints.

2 Likes

the covers are heat sensitive and may warp and tear in the microwave. mine did. pyrex has to send me a replacement. but extra covers can be bought.

The glass rectangular storage containers in this set and the larger one bought separately are IDEAL baking casseroles for toaster ovens and counter tops.

Search for Pyrex Storage Covers on amazon they are there.

1 Like

We never put the blue covers in the microwave - the directions were pretty clear that you should not heat with them. But they broke apart anyway. There are separate covers with a hot vapor vent intended for heating.

the lid is printed microwave safe on the underside. don’t believe it.

2 Likes

Pyrex changed their chemistry to flint tempered glass to dissuade meth cookers. Consumer Reports thinks it is Flint tempered glass.

2 Likes

A friend of mine just had one of her pyrex dishes shatter in the oven.

A couple years ago the same thing happened to a friend as he was pulling it out of the oven. Luckily only second degree burns on his arms.

I don’t trust anything that isn’t ferrous, can’t take a kiln, or isn’t used in spacecraft.

3 Likes

I wanted to just type ouch, but I need six characters.

2 Likes

OUCH

I do not understand how you did that

2 Likes

You’re doing it wrong!

1 Like