DJ duo Zeds Dead attached heart rate monitors on their fans and analyzed the results

[Read the post]

…can be the most powerful events in peoples’ lives.

This makes me really sad. I hope it’s not true.

4 Likes

Isn’t this sort of thing what the team behind virtual idol Sharon Apple did, with wrist bio-monitor bracelets, in the anime Macross Plus? Funny that it’s taken so long for life to imitate art…

3 Likes

more importantly, there’s an actual virtual hologram idol in Japan

1 Like

Now them there Soggy Bottom Boys get my heart a-thumpin, yes sir-ree!

4 Likes

“This is the best day of my life!”

1 Like

welp, i’m with you fellas.

4 Likes

DJ #1: “Wanna go see a movie?”
DJ #2: “Dunno, who’s the projectionist?”

8 Likes

What a cool experiment! It looks like a lot more interesting data could be pulled out. For example,

• The level of covariance of participants’ heart rates vs. time/song, i.e., which songs had a strong or weak effect.
  • Which songs lowered pulse rate. This info will be as important as the peaks for understanding cause and effect of various musical elements.
  • Any evidence that the pulse rates synchronize to the actual tempo of the music, and further, to each other? That would be a significant result. (This was a BoingBoing headline once, but turned out not to be true as stated.)

I am not a statistician, but was for many years a caller of square and contra dances. This study makes sense in that domain too. A major element of designing a satisfying evening is the sequencing of tunes/dances’ tempos, melodic excitement, and complexity, while tracking the dancers’ responses. You want to leave them happily spent, socially engaged, and energized.

3 Likes

The art of DJ? That’s adorable.

Couldn’t a robot do this job, even more so when the attendants are all wearing feedback devices?

3 Likes

“You darned kids with your modern musi-- I mean noise! Get off my lawn!”

You think a good dj just puts on a record and lets it play before switching to another and doing the same?
That’s adorable.
A good dj is a live mashup artist and needs rhythm, impeccable timing and a good ear to know what’s in key and what’s not. Often playing two separate pieces at once, with additional loops thrown in, coupled with several well-timed samples and assorted effects. All done on the fly.
Done well, to the layman it just sounds like a song. Sort of like how all the separate instruments in an acoustic piece mesh together to make a song.
Any skilled artist makes their craft look easy.
Could a robot dj? Technically, yes. But I’m not sure about their taste in music.

5 Likes

I came to the comments hoping to see people talking about a neat experiment. Instead there’s a dozen comments making the same tired old jokes and jabs that DJs don’t do anything. Really, I should’ve known better.

Participant Four’s pharmacological study was probably far more fun.

2 Likes

To be fair the tempo correction is pretty much automatic these days. And the key can be fixed too (within reasonable limits). Assuming you are doing everything digitally as is pretty much the norm I believe - my ears aren’t set for it any more.

As pointed out above the modulations and tempo changes in sequencing an evening aren’t really different from that in say an Irish trad session/céilí or square dance. But as you point out the live looping, effects, etc. are not.

DJing isn’t massively skilled when I do it. But neither are playing the guitar or piano when I do them. That doesn’t mean that some people aren’t massively skilled though.

And creative.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.