DJ pretends to arrive to Burning Man on a Popeyes jet

Brilliant of you to post what may be (sailor) Popeye’s only truly cruel moment. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Why the hate? It’s a silly marketing stunt. Diplo is a pretty well-established businessman and producer, if he wants to advertise for Popeyes, yawn, whatever. I do enjoy some of his music, and the NY Times had a pretty cool video feature about him and Skrillex one time. I guess I’m missing the point of the outrage.

1 Like

I don’t think the people who organize or attend Burning Man appreciate being unwittingly connected to a silly marketing stunt.

3 Likes

And Dipshit is an asshole, just on general principle.

3 Likes

That’s fine, but are all the ‘douche’ and other random insult tags being lobbed by BB or by BM? Why does BB need to defend the juggernaut that is Burning Man? Seems like that would be like me trying to defend the honor of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. I don’t think I would have standing…

Wendy’s is usually pretty saucy on social media. I hope they have a spicy response.

2 Likes

They’re being lobbed by various people who are familiar with Diplo’s antics and/or sympathetic to the ideals that a non-commercial, non-corporate arts community like Burning Man aspires to.

2 Likes

Wendy’s supports 45’s reelection campaign, so they can kick rocks too.

I have a friend who was a hard core raver and loved EDM, it was through her that I first heard about him.

His music was just ‘okay’ IMO, being largely overshadowed by his perpetual douchebaggery;

Unfuck that guy.

5 Likes

i’m a little lost. why is it a big deal that a famous person did what amounts to an advertisement? I’m sure Popeyes loves that news sources are helping this viral marketing stunt.

Isn’t Diplo, Lego blocks for 3 year olds?

9 Likes

I guess I’ve heard of this guy… but can’t say I know his music. I am kinda stuck in a rut when it comes to electronica. But he sounds like a real fucking douche bag just from the tweets I’ve seen. Christ.

Hey Popeyes, WTF, dude? The Real Popeye would knock a fucker out if he talked like that to Olive Oil.

3 Likes

I can see the confusion here…

Duplo is designed to not be a choking hazard.

Diplo you want to choke.

5 Likes

I came to know him through MIA. He and MIA put out a sort of mix tape pre Arular and then he co-produced this song on Arular and brought the Baile Funk.

Was a pretty great sound at the time and I think it holds up well.

1 Like

Ermagerd; ermageddon.

4 Likes

I wondered about that too, until I noticed the location caption (top left corner of the IG post).

The thing is, Popeye’s is a corporation whose product I believe in. And Diplo does have some fresh beats.

Doesn’t everyone at BM deserve that title?
Or does this mean Diplo is winning burning man?

I heard Diplo back 2012 in some small club in Cleveland was a really fun set that had everyone dancing in an almost TMBG friendly mosh pit sort of way (something I’ve never experienced before in the techno/house whatevs scene). Saw him a year ago in Maui playing the biggest venue… strutting around like a rooster on stage playing 30 second snips of awful EDM. Was disappointing. So this? maybe this redeems him some?

He had it comin’ to 'ems! 'At oughta loin 'em.

1 Like

Popeye had all he could stands, he couldn’t stands no more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.