DNA proves the amazing "tree lobster" insect still alive after 100 years of supposed extinction

"Tree lobster" insect - - - unnecessary
"Tree insect" lobster - - - implausible
"Lobster tree" insect - - - nonsense
"Lobster insect" tree - - - the obvious choice; pls expedite
"Insect Tree" lobster - - - promising
"Insect Lobster" tree - - - done to death already

1 Like

From this perspective, it looks like the dorsal fin of a freaking giant petrified shark.

1 Like

On formerly extinct…I’ll just leave this here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MunowVfXOuY

Swede
I love me some crayfish on ice with ice cold Aquivit.
/Swede

The thing is, somehow the fact that they are water-based makes it OK for us to be not repulsed by them.

its not like they’re hopping around in your front lawn like grasshoppers, or crawling all over roadkill (like they would if they were terrestrial.

Crabs? Visually Horrifying. Waterbased? Yes. Do I want to eat them? Oh god yes.
Shrimp? Visually Horrifying. Waterbased? Yes. Do I want to eat them? Oh god yes.
Silverfish? aaaaah! Kill it!!! Waterbased? No. Do I want to eat them? NO!
Spiders? Visually Horrifying. Waterbased? No. Do I want to eat them? Thats nightmare fuel.
Grasshoppers & Crickets? far less horrifying. Waterbased? No. Do I want to eat them? Barf.

I say this as an ethnically midwestern American. Folks who grow up on the East Asian Subcontinent however… I suspect they would have a faaaaar different perspective.

1 Like

I saw them in my backyard while growing up in Wisconsin. There was a swamp in the area, but they do get out and wander a bit.

Roger that. Case in point:

That is one of my favorite foods I eat ravenously during the Holidays.

I’m drooling at the idea of eating that crab absurdly huge sea Tarantula.

Imagine a new continent was discovered where a terrestrial Japanese spider crab roamed about with the speed of say - an average spider. I imagine it would be a conglomeration of the 1800’s Bison hunting in the USA and Starship Troopers (the movie)

the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect was stuck on a sticky bun

2 Likes

“You see, they have bought their own cage and are getting three meals a day.”
“Hot meals?”
“Warm-ish.”

1 Like

Which is EXACTLY what you did in the first place.

@rocketace wrote about convenience, and you ignored that and started addressing something entirely different, in a very smart alecky way. We can both read exactly what @rocketace wrote and what you wrote in reply, so where is this “which they may not have spoken” crap coming from?

It seems pretty clear to me. Your reply ignored what they wrote - the stated issue of convenience wasn’t open to interpretation and wasn’t addressed in your reply, and you were a smart aleck about it. Nothing that you wrote afterwards has changed that.

What I saw was you engaging in somewhat aggressive behavior - needing to set someone straight and put them in their place when what you wrote didn’t have anything to do with what they had actually written. Now you’re rolling out “polite discourse” when you yourself failed to engage in it originally.

I have no idea what @rocketace is like IRL, but when some people are confronted with an aggressive reply attempting to rebut something they said or wrote they will just let it go and let the jerk have their say.

Your response to a rebuttal is apparently to start rolling out the bullshit, and pretending to take the high road while doing it.

people thought of them as trash food. It was fit only for the poor and served to servants or prisoners. […] some in Massachusetts revolted and the colony was forced to sign contracts promising that indentured servants wouldn’t be fed lobster more than three times a week.

when the railways started to spread through America, transportation managers realized something interesting: If no one knew what lobster was, trains could serve it to passengers as if it were a rare, exotic item, even thought it was very cheap for those running the railroad to procure it.

From the article below, which also mentions the WWII rationing and movie stars:

https://psmag.com/economics/how-lobster-got-fancy-59440

Indeed, what I see more from you than my original post that you took issue with. I am done with you; as I said, if there’s a problem with my post I’d be happy to debate it with the person I responded to. Seriously, I look back at what started this flamewar, and I just don’t see what you insist is there. I can only conclude it’s because it only exists in your mind for whatever reason.

Hopefully we cross paths again here under better circumstances.

For those who haven’t seen it…

3 Likes

Thank you very much for this lesson in human nature and disingenuous obfuscation. You are a marvel. :smile:

“Displacement”. Class is dismissed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.