Do not miss this anime trailer for Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/21/do-not-miss-this-anime-trailer.html

6 Likes

That’s excellent, you should’ve also linked to the TIE Fighter short :smiley:

15 Likes

I love this particular style in anime. Especially when they use the poofy 80s hair. <3

7 Likes

Star Wars: A Hidden Fortress

11 Likes

Now this is an anthology film I’d love to watch.

4 Likes

It actually at first had a 1970’s animated LOTR feel.

8 Likes

Yeah that might be the rotoscoping.

7 Likes

Yeah there’s a lot of rotoscoping which is common in older animation, not just the LOTR ones but Disney and other studios did a fair share of it too.

2 Likes

OH you beat me to it, but I recommend the remastered version where a guy put in the right music and sound effects.

1. I would watch the shit out of the TIE Fighter series. Like naked with a huge erection, pennant in hand and face painted.

2. I would watch the shit out the SW anime.

3. Nice to see they kept a period style.

4. They actually made Star Wars Manga that looks similar in style.

1. Who needs tweening? (I know, low blow for a fan project :wink:
9 Likes

Which version is this? Luke mentions Biggs (his cousin), and I thought all references to Biggs had been scrubbed by the time the Special Edition came out. Yet is also shows Han and Jabba the Hutt, which was added in the Special Edition.

3 Likes

This is so bogus. The princess doesn’t even transform into the Cute Warrior of Love and Justice? I guess that about wraps it up for feminism.

4 Likes

That was epic, man. A war between people, not rebel hero types versus icons.
I think that’s what the star wars series is really missing.

2 Likes

Take my money

1 Like

please say they are doing the entire movie like this. talk about full circle.

3 Likes

Biggs isn’t Luke’s cousin, he’s his “cool guy” friend who he’s always looked up to but who left space academy (imperial or civilian isn’t clear) to join the Rebellion.

In the original cut of the movie, you only see him during the Battle of Yavin (but Luke’s line about him having left home stays in).

In the 1997 Special Edition, a scene with him and Luke reuniting on Yavin before the battle is re-inserted after having been cut from the original movie. Far from being cut out, the SE puts more of a light on Biggs.

Neither version of the movie includes Biggs’ lengthiest scene, which involves him returning to Tatooine to visit his friends at Tosche Station, where he has a heart-to-heart with Luke about the complications of life in the galaxy with the Empire. Presumably the scene was there to show how Luke was a runt and to plant a seed of his desire to rebel, but it slowed the movie down and wasn’t really necessary once we meet Obi-Wan.

Here’s that deleted scene: https://youtu.be/a7NVb0OCD5g

8 Likes

I flipped the headline to read “Do not miss this trailer for anime Star Wars” and that trailer got me pretty damn excited

2 Likes

Wonderful. This “Animotion-er” is massively talented.

2 Likes

This just struck a pleasure center in my brain I didn’t even know I have. :crazy_face:

1 Like

As film franchises look to eke even more cash out of known good performing franchises, I wonder if we won’t start to see stuff like this?

So far the standard maneuvers have been:

1. Reboot
  2. Remake
  3. Sequels
  4. Offshoots

I think the formula of non-canon theme remakes would be pretty great. Like anime remakes, or alternate “what-if” type universes like comics have been doing for decades. Think about it:

Star Wars: Episode IV: What if Luke died instead?

Star Wars: Episode IV: Meiji Samurai Remake

Star Wars: Episode IV: Cowboys vs. Samurai

4 Likes

Darth Maul: A Hero’s Journey

3 Likes