Do wiggly road markings calm Scottish drivers?

[Permalink]

Given that some people are angered by the redesign the obvious answer would seem to be ā€œnoā€. But I know itā€™s more complicated than that. Roundabouts, I know, are supposed to be much safer and significantly reduce accidents. But thereā€™s a roundabout near where I work where the cars may be less likely to hit each other, but pedestrians take their lives in their hands when trying to cross the street there.

They need this: Suspended Roundabout Over a Highway

2 Likes

My guess, though Iā€™m not an roadway engineer, is that what would calm Scottish drivers, is a fifth (the laws in Scotland are different) of a gill of fine whisky.

1 Like

Do they not get snow in Scotland? Sometimes when Iā€™m driving, a glimpse of a yellow line through the snow is the only way I can tell which side of the road Iā€™m on. Or if Iā€™m on the road. White lines that arenā€™t straight would seem to hinder that process.

2 Likes

Since we are headed in that directionā€¦itā€™s possible after said fifth the wiggly lines are straighter than regular straight linesā€¦

2 Likes

The wavy lines are designed to trick the viewer into recalling the pleasant mellowness of intoxication, without actually dulling their reflexes excessivelyā€¦

2 Likes

Aye, of course, we did it that way on purpose? What do you think we are?

2 Likes

The simple fix for that is donā€™t cross the road at a roundabout. I believe thatā€™s the rule here in the UK.

On the subject of roundabouts they do manage traffic pretty well. And they are maintenance free.

The downside is that some people donā€™t understand how they work or donā€™t have the confidence to use them. This leads to Mexican stand-offs where three drivers at three different entrances will be staring at each other waiting for someone to make the first move.

1 Like

Or in the US, where no one hesitates.

2 Likes

The simple answer would be great if they hadnā€™t decided to put this particular roundabout in a pedestrian-heavy area, with a small park and offices on one side and more offices, shops, and restaurants on the other.

I think roundabouts are a good idea, but with this one itā€™s as though city planners said, ā€œLetā€™s put a roundabout in the worst possible place. And for good measure letā€™s put a big olā€™ naked people statue right in the middle of it to distract drivers.ā€

From the article:

it just looks like the lines were painted by a drunken road worker.

ā€¦which leads me to wonder if the official story was concocted to cover up the simple truth that the lines were in fact painted by a drunken road worker.

2 Likes

The same thing was done in my hometown to Main street during the 60ā€™s to stop kids from ā€˜draggingā€™ Main street. In our case they even made street parking difficult by putting in planters.

After 40+ years they tore it all out. Seems it made things worseā€¦

If I come across a road like that, I assume thatā€™s not the only problem with the road, and I lay off the gas.

3 Likes

When people are actually used to roundabouts, they could probably go just about anywhere. I once lived a few blocks from a roundabout that basically consisted of a slightly raised patch of pavement, painted white, less than a meter across, in the middle of an intersection that otherwise might have merited a four-way stop, but not traffic lights. Crossing the street there was no different than at a regular small intersection - or, for that matter, a big roundabout joining busy streets.

1 Like

It may actually have worked, and then the folks who vote discovered that whatā€™s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - they wanted the ā€œkidsā€ to slow down, but they didnā€™t want to slow down themselvesā€¦

Anyone driving slower than me is dawdling. Anyone driving faster than me is a dangerous maniac.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting carsick just looking at that.

I think there should still probably be limits.

Mostly rain.