Documentary about The Slenderman

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/05/documentary-about-the-slenderm.html

2 Likes

Did they get an interview with Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary?

6 Likes

I’m not thinking about him right now.

6 Likes

And it broke up the Ghostfacers.

1 Like

3 Likes

You must admit the original clips were damn creepy, and produced for about a dollar.

The thing about the girls stabbing their friend to please the Slenderman doesn’t even make sense from the standpoint of the (created) legend. The Slenderman is implacable like Cthulhu and friends. There’s no benefit (and quite a lot of drawback) to getting such things to notice you.

2 Likes

They must have thought the second Slenderman game is canon.

If you watch it, Slenderman will take you.

Yeah… but also not really. First off, let’s keep in mind that it was a child stabbing her friend due to a delusion. Trying to explain the irrational nature of her activity based inside of a vague mythos seems to be fundamentally missing the point of what happened.

But also, it is a vague mythos without a specific set of rules. Slenderman was created by a guy who submitted a doctored photograph online, and for the most part that’s where his involvement with the character ended. So everything beyond that is social invention, variation, and interpretation. He is a democratic creation of the online community, with multiple outcomes that will likely split into entirely separate myths/creature/etc over time. Despite the truly awful outcome of her actions, the child had just as much right and ability to interpret and create what type of character Slenderman is.

Now as for the worm-snake of a DA that decided she should be tried as an adult…

3 Likes

What about that one guy… uhhh… i forget his name…

2 Likes

Batman?

Birdman?

And the judge who kept insisting she be denied medical care? Serious clusterfuck around that case.

3 Likes

Doesn’t that fit with the theme, though? The Cthulhu stories are full of people who thought they could curry favor with Mythos entities. The girls seem to have come up with their own unique legend where they had to make a sacrifice to protect their families from Slender Man.

Anyway, a person who is willing to kill for an internet meme is not a person prone to rationally thinking through the consequences of their actions.

1 Like

Oh I know this one! Pick me! Pick me!
It’s Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beeltej-:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.