Documentary on The Black Ghost, Detroit's legendary street racer

It’s a cool process to watch, for sure. There are a half dozen cable reality shows about it as well.

1 Like

Came here for this.
I love them, too. I was a teenager in the early 80’s when they were still cheap and it was fun to ride with the older kids who had them.
But there’s something to be said about not having to constantly work on your vehicle… That gets old real quick if you have to go to work. One of my neighbors has an amazing Chevy Nomad I kind of lust over - it’s not his primary mode of transport, of course.
Modern tech is amazing.

2 Likes

Restomodding, didn’t know that word. I had a neighbor who owned an autobody shop for BMWs. In his spare time, this is what he did. Once he had a copper colored 57 Chevy Nomad with all new (as in new tech) running gear, brakes, etc, all performance stuff. He said he’d sell it in Japan for a quarter million dollars, and he did this a few times. That was about 15 or more years ago.

2 Likes

The Black Ghost is one of the coolest fish for the home aquarium. Love these things!!

4 Likes

I think there was a movie about this. When you say “blow the doors off” was it literally?

5 Likes

I don’t doubt it! The Nomad is super desirable and hard to find. They are beautiful too. I would own one in a heartbeat, especially if upgraded to modern running gear (and in this fantasy I somehow don’t have to second-mortgage my house to buy it).

1 Like

speaking of fathers, sons, and drag cars: my neighbor is Allen Platt, son of Hubert Platt, “the Georgia Shaker,” who was a champion drag racer and also designed a lot of the features of his cars. like GQ, Hubert was a total badass who originally used his hotrods to run moonshine in his teens and twenties.
not only is drag racing still a huge deal within its community, it’s so big that it extends to supporting a whole class of legacy racing, which Platt races in with one of his dad’s classic cars.
to give you an idea of how big the scene is, and how big the GA Shaker was, the publishing house that does technical manuals and catalogs etc approached Platt to write a bio of his dad, which he did.
so my neighbor who is a professional carpenter has also become a published author; his first book, too.
I sent him the link to the video, he is looking forward to watching it enthusiastically.

6 Likes

A four door? No, just no.

1 Like

“tasty”

4 Likes

Since you are going there, Death Proof’s car chase with the Challenger and Charger.

5 Likes

If I had the cash I’d go farther in both directions - electric 1932 Plymouth. :smile:

1 Like

You’re comparing a 50 y/o car to present day cars? Why? This documentary is about history. “Terrible cars”? I can’t imagine what are you talking about?

2 Likes

I’ve actually seen that one; not bad for a B grade mid-80’s revenge flick.

2 Likes

And +1 for Clint Howard’s makeup and hair. :+1:

3 Likes

4 Likes

Damn, wasn’t expecting that to turn into a tear-jerker…

2 Likes

I’m not sure that you understand what we mean by history…

And @VeronicaConnor very much elaborated. Maybe read her post? :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Nice documentary and Godfrey seems like a real good guy. The car is beautiful.

1 Like

Obligatory yabbut . . .

I owned a 1967 Ford Mustang convertible in the 1980s. Beautiful car. But I’d have traded it, in a heartbeat, for a same-year Jaguar E-type.

1 Like

They are wonderful, amusing pets. Clown knives are cool too:

1 Like