Dodo to be deëxtincted with genetic engineering

Originally published at: Dodo to be deëxtincted with genetic engineering | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Someone’s sending in treatments on this to whoever owns the Jurassic Park franchise.

12 Likes

IMG_0691

25 Likes

What now? Those have been available for decades.

9c7186a71fed5d8c3e8a810a60f2abec

19 Likes

jurassic park film GIF

16 Likes

16 Likes

Literary tradition demands that it be imbued with human hands

(there is an unsettled notion that Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) characterised himself as the Dodo, because he’d stammer the ‘Do-’ of his last name)

21 Likes

Alice’s “I’ve had it up to here with this crazy shit” expression in that illustration is perfect.

16 Likes

deëxtincted

Nice dieresis there.

16 Likes

Also, technically a re-boing:

(An unusually long harvesting interval, though.)

12 Likes

If I remember correctly there is a tree on Mauritius that needed the Dodo to complete its reproductive cycle (?) and it may be gone at this point too. The island has been decimated by humans, with many of the native species long gone, including some other birds less famous than the Dodo.

6 Likes

I wonder how instinct factors into this. Is that somehow included in the genome, or will it look like a dodo and act like a duck?

3 Likes

This is precisely the future that Conservatives have been warning us about!

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

/s

9 Likes

Most birds teach their offspring, might just “be don’t eat this, do eat this, avoid this place, look out for predators”, and so on, but it’s stuff they won’t have.

8 Likes

Today someone at The New Yorker is going to see my headline and know that I have taken something beautiful from them they never realized they had.

13 Likes

7 Likes

Once reconstructed and viable as a species, does the dodo become an invasive species? Where will it live and what will it eat? If some get loose, what else will they eat?

3 Likes

If ■■■■■ is barred from running for reelection, rumor has it that the GOP plans to claim that reëlection is still valid if the flag has a fringe.

3 Likes

Serious Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

6 Likes

producing an adult duck with the sperm of a rooster. It then bred with a hen, which gave birth to a chick.

Having supervised ducks breeding, all I can say is that poor, poor hen.

(If you’re wondering, just look up male duck anatomy, then roosters.)

4 Likes