Mammoth meatballs grown from ancient genetic information

Originally published at: Mammoth meatballs grown from ancient genetic information | Boing Boing

2 Likes

NGL, had to read that headline a couple of times.

11 Likes

Can i eat Glacial Mountain Oysters too? What about Dodo Nugs?

3 Likes

It’s either going to taste like Tasty Wheat or chicken.

5 Likes

Just here to add what feels like an obligatory link to the Beef And Dairy Network Podcast. Because honestly, the Venn diagram of subject crossover here is almost a circle. Probably best to start with Episode 1 which touches on the ridiculous idea of a potential so-called ‘fifth meat’ or, once you’ve listened to a few more episodes, possibly there’s episode 72 on genetic engineering, too.

2 Likes

Think we can’t eat them just because they’re extinct? Think again!

This could be the most “first line of a commercial in ‘RoboCop’” thing I’ve ever read.

Just perfect.

15 Likes

“How’s it taste?”

“It tastes like. . . science.

7 Likes

Is it safe for human consumption? If so I’ll eat it. These grown meats with different DNA have the potential of being tasty and better for you then the typical poultry, beef, pork or seafoods.

1 Like

I can imagine masticating mammoth meatballs. And mentioning it on Mastodon.

As for other extinct animals, well, the dodo was reportedly not very good meat at all, but the sailors ate them anyways because they were easy to catch and basically the only meat around. So I think I will pass there.

5 Likes

Reminds me a bit of the opening bits of Mammoth.

1 Like

Wasn’t this a subplot on Better Off Ted?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Empty post, dude.

:woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

… I wonder if the meatballs are invisible too :thinking:

6 Likes

We’ve been re-watching this show lately, and it truly deserved a longer runway. The cheery corporate evil, the deadpan amorality of Portia de Rossi, the “Eureka gone wrong” vibe…

2 Likes

Oh yeah I’ve been rewatching lately as well. So many episodes were years ahead of their time to the point where a couple plots would be unrecognizable as absurd examples of evil companies. It would be considered parody of real life.

1 Like

Food producer has to explain before Congress why their new line is so wildly popular.

C-A-N-N-I-B-A-L

2 Likes

I’m sure I’ve read at least 4-5 scifi books where ‘cloned extinct animal meat snacks’ was a throwaway line, it was practically inevitable that someone would do it for real.

They were going to try making dodo meat, but they’ve not been able to get the DNA they wanted.
Which reminds me of: Dodo Home Cloning Kit

I’d much rather have dodos running around than mammoths :stuck_out_tongue: