Oldest DNA sequenced yet comes from million-year-old mammoths

Originally published at: Oldest DNA sequenced yet comes from million-year-old mammoths | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Where is Goldblum?

3 Likes

To think that humanity might rediscover the delicious taste of mammoth steak within my lifetime. What a time to be alive.

6 Likes

I would so totally love to see mammoths reintroduced to North America.

2 Likes

Or, as Larry King used to call him, “My pet, Sparky”

It would be pretty sweet but I don’t see it happening any time soon. As it is, it’s a political nightmare trying to reintroduce a lot of extant species to their former habitats. That’s why we don’t have grizzly bears roaming California even though they used to be such a major presence in the state that we even have one on our flag.

1 Like

Yep, but with the advances of modern science we could just clone the meat and grow it in (big) test tubes. I prefer my mammoth boneless. And then also we won’t need to be concerned about contravening any ivory laws. They really need to start thinking about raising sloths for the plate too. I mean, they’re lazy so they gotta be easy to catch. I’m thinking, what a natural for the slow cooker. Sloth brisket- doesn’t that just get the saliva running?

Heresy!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.