Does the iPhone X prove the Unabomber was right?

egg-zactly

Get 10% off when you bundle it with this IoT always-on listening device!

3 Likes

Alexa/Siri

1 Like
3 Likes

It took me longer than usual to warm up to the Twelfth Doctor because it sounded weird to hear Capaldi’s voice unlaced with continuous profanities.

6 Likes

you were not the only one.

2 Likes

The problem is not being on Facebook is kind of like this era’s “I don’t own a TV” in that a lot of people will judge you by that as being a snobbish elite who thinks they are better than the common horde, as opposed to just not liking either TV or Facebook. I sort of have it both ways – I own a TV but rarely use it for anything but watching movies on DVD or streaming, and I have a Facebook account that I go months between checking.

1 Like

Hating Facebook requires too much effort. I merely loath it and do not have or even need it. Then again, I had no TV for well over a decade. [however, I would die without a computer…]

As a relative newbie to the Whoniverse, I admit I find it odd that no one curses, ever.

I get it, it’s a rating thing for the ‘kiddie-widdies’, but still… just the fact that the damn Daleks keep popping up as a ‘Big Bad’ despite having been killed off as a species numerous times is enough to make me curse a blue streak, let alone any of the other multitudes of fuckery that happen constantly when the Doctor is involved…

5 Likes

IMHO, it’s no coincidence that many of the best episodes have little or nothing to do with Daleks.

3 Likes

I’ll let you know if I agree once I’m all caught up to current; but so far, I concur. (I’m nearly done with the 2nd cycle in Capaldi’s run.)

I groan every time I go to start a new ep, and the synopsis says anything mentioning Daleks, followed by the fucking Cybermen…

2 Likes

Ugh, so Discovery puts out a show on the unabomber and suddenly Kaczynski is relevant again for 15 minutes and everyone’s an expert.
There’s an irony in here somewhere.

Kaczynski used the threat of more murders – and the promise to stop, if obeyed – to blackmail newspapers into publishing his manifesto.

The commercial-industrial techno-hydra that Kaczynski hated gave us the internet, smartphones, and social media, which allow the hip, modern, techno-savvy extremist nutjob to publish manifestos quickly and easily, saving them all the up-front effort of building bombs and the interminable waiting for snail-mail murders to deliver your explosive publishing credentials.

Surely he would be able to appreciate that?

Well, it is online for free, if anyone wants. Although, really- Have they come out with an artisanal hand bound leather edition?

Hmmm. Explains all the Nazis.

If you don’t have facebook, you are better than the unwashed masses. :wink:

Except Facebook can still track your browsing habits if any page has a Facebook button, even if you don’t have an account. But then again Google knows way more about a person so pick your poison.

Spoiler do not let the fact that it is a cyberman story that ends his run as the doctor turn you off as it was well done though the deux ex machina for the companion while a nice touch was a bit groan inducing but did tie in with the start of her run

1 Like

Yep. It’s a difficult situation. I’m using Noscript and privacy badger and ublock origin and ghostery (even though their business model is rather dubious, they do cach stuff the others miss sometime).

It’s a pita, but at least I get tracked somewhat less.

But avoiding the allmighty google is nearly impossible.

I can thank my terrible attention span and tunnel vision, i have an uncanny ability to ignore ads, sponsored/promo content, etc. So whatever Privacy Badger and uBlock miss i just tune out. But having the ad blockers does make browsing much nicer :slight_smile: