Dog chases walruses off dock

…and…excuse me if I don’t get too choked up over the marine equivalence of scattering a group of pigeons in the park or scaring away a pack of rats on the subway platform. Not too concerned about a dog flushing a bunch of common seals off a dock even if it is technically illegal.

The dog is following its predatory instincts. It’s the person allowing it to do so who should know better.

7 Likes

Lacking training, as well.

3 Likes

You’re not allowed to harass them if they’re just lounging around, but you may deter them from damaging people or property. There was a sea lion that occupied a boat pier in Berkeley a few years back that took to aggressively chasing people; IIRC they got rid of him by repeatedly spraying him with a hose. (I don’t know why a sea mammal wouldn’t like being sprayed with water — maybe fresh water bothers them because it’s not salty?)

“Preventive” deterrence measures, those taken to dissuade a marine mammal from beginning to interact with property, people, or fishing gear or catch, would also be acceptable. For example, underwater acoustic devices that generate sounds known to be annoying to marine mammals could be used, as could certain light explosives to startle pinnipeds and to disrupt their approaches to property, people, or fishing gear or catch. Boat hazing (patrolling a net or an area in a small boat and deterring marine mammals with boat noise or by blocking their approach at the surface) could be used provided it did not result in the serious injury or death of a marine mammal.

Some “reactive” deterrents, those active measures taken with the intent of stopping a dangerous or damaging interaction, also would be acceptable. “Reactive” measures may require the most assertive deterrent actions. Some examples of generally acceptable reactive measures that could be used without causing an animal serious injury or death are prodding a marine mammal with blunt poles, pushing or herding an animal with plywood or canvas, or spraying water at an animal. Noisemakers and, for seals and sea lions, some light explosives, could also be used.

Four additional instructions would aid in the proper use of active measures in preventive or reactive situations. Acts of deterrence should not: (1) Result in a separation of a female marine mammal from its unweaned offspring; (2) break the skin of a marine mammal; (3) be directed at the head or eyes of a marine mammal; or (4) be used on pinnipeds hauled out on unimproved private property (i.e. a rock, ledge, or beach).

The deterrence measures described as examples above should be used with great caution. Any act of deterrence–including the example measures–that results in the serious injury or death of a marine mammal would be unacceptable and would violate the MMPA. Also, the above lists of examples should not be considered exhaustive. Any action that is not specifically prohibited and is consistent with the guidelines could be taken to deter marine mammals, so long as the action does not result in the serious injury or death of a marine mammal.

I used to live next to a public pasture about a half-hour east of York; it had neither police nor a warden, but a master. If a dog chased any of the wildlife there (mainly sheep and cows) the same way this dog chased the deer, the dog could find itself well and truly shot by the pasture master.

In Kipling’s Jungle Books there is a poem intended to stir up people against sealing. It ends with a slightly covert request that the Royal Navy be told to take action against sealers.
People have wanted to protect marine mammals for a very long time.

edit - http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/animals/kipling.html

2 Likes

I’m on board with everyone controlling their dogs, but… “wildlife?”

3 Likes

In England, sheep and cows are about as wild as it gets.
I mean, we had a pheasant in the garden this lunchtime, but I know perfectly well it has been raised in captivity for purposes of being shot. And the dog barked at it before I could get the dslr…he’s been sent to Coventry.

3 Likes

If an animal isn’t ready to bring me my paper and slippers in the morning, it is undomesticated as far as I’m concerned.

6 Likes

Definitely sea lions. Walruses are pink, pebbly and huge…not to mention the teeth.

1 Like

ugh. sorry, I forgot we were on the internet.

‘the owner of that dog is an asshole’.

Is that better?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.