Surrounded by Otters

[Permalink]

2 Likes

“In just 30 years, the species has declined over 50 percent.”
Huh, California population surveys indicate a definite upwards population trend over the last 30 years. (Granted, the 20th century has been a recovery period after the almost total destruction of the species in the 18th and 19th centuries, and only starting in the late 20th century did we see any real efforts to address that.) They must be doing really badly elsewhere.

Maybe if those dirty little sexual predators stopped raping baby seals and started copulating with in their own kind they wouldn’t be endangered?

1 Like

So, migration, then.

They’re non-migratory.

I guess the seas and rivers and lakes don’t connect to each other, except in the clouds. So, no migration for them.

“They?”

You are talking about one otter raised in captivity who grew up sexually confused.

“Olliver, I suspect there’s a spy in our midst.”

8 Likes

Day 2: I’ve infiltrated this raft of otters, and no one is more surprised than I am.

8 Likes

Day 3: Another sleepless night of paddling. I don’t think any of these pups are housebroken; the brats crap right in the water without first sniffing out a proper spot. I could use a good poop myself, and I’d bite my mama for even one vertical blade of grass. I don’t know understand HQ’s strategy for this sector, but I refuse to abandon my post.

4 Likes

Day 4: Just before dawn the pups swam quietly and quickly to shore. I followed and was the last to arrive, but I swear there was someone else in the water with me. When I asked about the order for shore leave, one of my charges said something about spotting a ‘pod of sea wolves’. As the gods are my witness, my nose smelled nothing remotely lupine, apart from my own waterlogged hide! The pup pointed to a bunch of tall black vertical sails sticking out of the water and moving across the bay. I think the kid must still be dreaming, but I’ll scent mark those sails for navigational reference when we return to the water.

2 Likes

Migration, in the sense of “I migrated from Washington State to Northern California in search of a job (or sea urchins, as the case may be,” not migration in the sense of Monarchs. At least I took it that way.

Not real? Aww!

They could be carried.

1 Like

Well, yeah, but we’re talking about populations in the Japan/Russia region and California, so it’s not like they spread out a bit and are suddenly redistributed - they’re only really going to move to take advantage of food availability. (The survey also counts pups, so it’s not like it’s a mystery where the new otters in California came from.) Also, it doesn’t actually address the fundamental issue that although the US population has seen an increase, the overall population has still decreased (unless they’re “migrating” somewhere where they’re no longer being counted, like suburban California).

By swallows, perhaps?

2 Likes

They could grip them, by the, er, fur.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.