Surfboard-stealing "aggressive sea otter" back in town

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/surfboard-stealing-aggressive-sea-otter-back-in-town.html

3 Likes

Fake news. Pull the otter one.

14 Likes

He’s requisitioning vessels for the Orca Army.

4 Likes

831, 841, 851 are two of these aliases?

2 Likes

831 is the area code for Santa Cruz. 851 is (I assume) a typo. 841 is the number of the otter.

A surfer colleague painted a Warhol-style image of 841 and uses it as his avatar on the company Slack. He follows 841’s exploits enthusiastically, although I think he might be less amused if the otter stole his surfboard.

5 Likes

“I didn’t think they’d steal my board!”, shocked voter for the Surfboard-Stealing Otter Party exclaims.

18 Likes

Otters are so cool though. I finally saw some in the wild. They leave in a creek near this Trail of Death marker at a park.

4 Likes

Those would be river otters. Sea otters just as cute (maybe cuter, given the “holding hands” thing) but they are are almost twice as big and have teeth and jaws adapted for ripping open stubborn shellfish so they are not to be fucked with.

8 Likes

TBF - I don’t fuck with most cute wildlife, because most of them have teeth and can still decide to take a bite out of you.

4 Likes

Apparently North American river otters can be pretty viscous as well:

21dc587a-ac1f-45de-8742-4e124cf76246_text

gpg1

5 Likes

My previous dog came nose to nose with one at the cottage (river otter); I was reading on the rocks on the shore with the dog sleeping beside me, and something made me glance over to her, and there it was, sniffing noses with the dog. I made kind of a strangled “URK!” noise and the book went flying in the air and the otter took off in the otter direction. (sorry, not sorry; couldn’t resist)

3 Likes

Aggressively cute, more like!

1 Like

Fake news must elide with reality somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.