Dog: “Do it. I dare you, human.”

Yeah, I know. I’ve been trying to help them with that, but it’s the first time in both their lives they’ve ever owned a dog, and it hasn’t been easy for them.

This. Even small bites are unacceptable and can be dangerous.

I have an American Eskimo rescue, abused as a puppy (which we didn’t know at first). He is very obedient and friendly to people who know how to handle dogs, but within a few weeks of getting him we learned he would bite strangers out of fear and anxiety, quick nips to the back of the leg, letting go right away, but enough to break skin (he’s very strong for his size, gnawed through the metal bars of a crate to get out, we don’t crate him anymore). One time when his leash clip broke, he got scared and nipped the leg of a woman who, it turned out, was going through chemo, so she had to go to the hospital for treatment.

He’s much better trained (and calmer) now that we’ve had him and been working with him for 2 years, though still scared of strangers. He does “jump” to greet, but 1) he gets down immediately if asked and 2) he is very dainty, basically standing on his hind legs and supporting himself, so it is more cute than annoying even according to our friends and family.

Thank you for expressing my sentiments exactly!

Animals, like people all have their own personality. Sometimes we do not get along well and never will.

2 Likes

Yep. If you came to my house you would have to deal with a certain amount of animal hair, but there is no obligation to deal with said animal.

Well, except for my Beta, but he is just a fantastic conversationalist.

I actually get along with most animals pretty well. It’s the ones that demand CONSTANT attention that I just cannot deal with (like some people).

1 Like

And the muddy prints on my work pants do not mean that the dog loves me or ‘wants to be friends’.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.