Dog: “Do it. I dare you, human.”

[Permalink]

One of these animals is trainable and the other is apparently an idiot.

5 Likes

small dogs are devilspawn.

3 Likes

Ha ha! Someone posted a video of a dog with possession/aggressive tendencies. So funny!

Watch the way it’s lifting it’s lip when he sees his owner’s hand get near the toy. HILARIOUS!

Will everyone be laughing when it’s the stupid owner’s toddler getting bitten in the face for reaching for the colorful toy?

As a Veterinarian, this pisses me off so much. People, train your little dogs. They’re not non-dangerous just because they’re small. Of course it’s worse if an aggressive dog has massive muscle power and weight, but small sharp teeth puncture and tear almost as well as the large ones.

ok rant over.

3 Likes

Yep. While the most devastating dog bites are perpetrated by large fighting/guard dog breeds that have been optimized to have shark-like proportions to their jaws, a small dog’s bite is equally likely to a large dog to cause an infection, and will still lacerate you toddler’s face.

2 Likes

What’s worse, I’ve had several cats that could beat up big dogs. But the little dogs - they just keep coming! They’re like gundams!

1 Like

Can’t stop the puppy pics. She isn’t photogenic, but I just love her.

Exactly, and as noted by the CDC, small dog bites are considerably more prevalent than large dog bites. Large breed bites/attacks get more press because they’re more often fatal/highly damaging, but small dog bites are dramatically more common.

If I sound ridiculously testy on this subject, it’s because I’m the guy that has to euthanize these dogs when they bite too many people (and often have to submit “tissue” to the county for rabies testing. {hint, it’s fresh/unfrozen brain matter, and we’re required to submit the vault of the skull intact…Chop Chop!}).

Most often training a little dog as rigorously as you’d train a large dog can avoid these problems. In the uncommon case where that hasn’t worked, a behavior consult (with a veterinary behaviorist, not some random self professed “expert”) to address the variety of behavior pathologies that can result in aggressive behavior (fear, anxiety etc…) can render a dangerous situation relatively disarmed.

3 Likes

!!!

Anyway, while it isn’t a bite, this one from my mother in laws dogs is still sore. I still love them both.

(It is the back side of an arm)

Yep. I was very specifically worried about the possibility of my yellow lab biting a toddler/infant cousin when we adopted him.

I trained my lab to not bite to the point that he won’t lick your face (he’ll lick hands), and if you try to even put your hand in his mouth, he’ll spit it out.

I also focused on training him not to jump up on people. That was successful too. It’s kind of hilarious when someone comes to the house because the dog will stand 2 meters back from the person and jump in place, then walk up to them and sit on their feet.

I was never able to get him to stay calm when someone knocks on the door though. But I gotta say, 2 out of 3 is pretty good.

He’s a very old dog now, at 13, for his breed, and I’m trying to brace for impact when we eventually have to send him to the farm upstate. But he’s fairly healthy and might have a few more years in him. He’s getting a little senile, and sometimes we catch him staring at the wall for protracted periods of time. But he still knows where he is, who we are, and inside from outside. And he doesn’t seem to be in any pain, and doesn’t seem confused too terribly often. I think eventually he’s going to get doggie alzheimer’s though.

2 Likes

I agree. My friends’ small shitzu absolutely owns them. He clearly calls the shots all over the house, and can become physically agressive if you don’t aknowledge him. Because he was cute when it mattered, and now it’s way past education time.

1 Like

I would be privileged if I met your dog.

1 Like

He’s just a big dope who doesn’t know any better than to love me. It’s kinda why I really love dogs. They’ll love you with all the strength they got no matter how much you hate yourself.

1 Like

The other day. Miss her since I am traveling. She is the most difficult adoptee I have ever had, but the most rewarding.

2 Likes

As a fellow in that arena, can I give you a hug?

1 Like

You can teach an old dog new tricks. It’s not easy, and there definitely is a good period for proper socialization when they’re puppies, but even the oldest dog can learn not to be an (&(_!!!.

I always tell my little dog clients (when they clearly do not have control, and run the risk of their dog hurting people), "just imagine if he was a big rottweiler or pit, would this behavior be acceptable?

I’ve seen everything from a little dog that bit a guy’s elderly mother, putting her in the hospital for well over a week with a septic bite wound to dogs that got euthanized because they bit children who were not even interacting with them.

1 Like

Sounds like you did a great job. Some training, and you’ve got a fantastic dog (and he’s got a fantastic human).

Dogs do definitely develop senile changes (just like people), and you can actually directly visualize loss of brain tissue on MRI. Even if your guy become a doddering old dog, it sounds like he’ll be a happy one with a good home. Can’t ask for much more than that.

And you never know… My last lab made it out to 14.5, and I’ve met a 17 year old one…

1 Like

Trudat.

1 Like

She’s plenty photogenic.

3 Likes

Family members have a Chihuahua that bites, but it waits until you’re walking away or just not paying attention and then it will usually try to land a bite on the ankle or foot. I’m willing to laugh the first time it happens even though it hurts a little, but beyond that I have no patience for such behavior, especially as a guest in their house. And what do my relatives do when the damned dog bites, or tries to bite? They scream at the dog once, which seems to make it return to the owner, and that’s it. And every new time they scream at the dog when it does something like this, which is probably once or twice an hour, I mention that perhaps the dog did not learn English in school and would perhaps appreciate Spanish, or maybe Portuguese so it might better understand the owner’s intentions?
It’s maddening that they do nothing to curb this behavior, and instead choose to laugh it off even though it happens all.the.time. So yeah, knock it off with the “oh, he’s just like that” nonsense and get the dog some help or just keep it in another room when you’ve got guests.

[quote=“LDoBe, post:10, topic:55011”]
I also focused on training him not to jump up on people.[/quote]
You are one of the few, good people of the earth because so few other people bother with this.

My closest friend has a dog he loves dearly, and just the other day the dog seemed to want my attention for whatever reason. My friend then badgered me to pet the dog or show it affection in some way, which I refused. Please take note, people with dogs: You may love the animal under your care a great deal. You may love it beyond the love you have for friends and family, and you may cherish that animal even beyond your own skin. This does not mean I have to show the dog any affection whatsoever, and it annoys the hell out of me that I’m made to feel bad because of it. Why is it that people with animals so often seem to need other people to duplicate the love they have for their pets?

1 Like