Dog fails service animal test

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/26/dog-fails-service-animal-test.html

16 Likes

Hey, I can’t collapse a wheelchair that fast.

17 Likes

Way to fail upwards Ryker, jobs are for suckers.

47 Likes

Dog probably climbs over the back of chairs.

42 Likes

I particularly enjoyed watching the other dogs watching him. Their expressions may have been ones of disgust or jealousy, but they had some opinions.

34 Likes

I don’t know how they conduct temperament tests, but I’m glad he was adopted. He definitely needs to play with an energetic person. My childhood pets acted like that, without the assistive devices.

20 Likes

That poor doofus…

18 Likes

What a good dog, other than not getting the job.

The other dogs seemed shocked by his behaviour.

But maybe he was deliberately making a “blooper reel”.

9 Likes

He’s certainly strong and full of beans. Maybe put him on a treadmill and power the nation. I expect that, in his head, he’s got this as an ear worm.

3 Likes

Smartest dog in the world - can’t fool him, he know the human is faking it and can do all those things on his own.

16 Likes

That’s a hell of a happy puppy :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Maybe he did it on purpose?

4 Likes

What a good boy. So good at being a pupper.

12 Likes

I was thinking this was a graduation test, and it made no sense that he got this far,and then fail so badly (at the job, not at being a dog).

But now I suspect it’s a lower level test, to screen out the dogs better suited to other professions, or just a life of leisure.

I just read somewhere, maybe here, that dogs that make good service animals have to have a good sense of play. Maybe that was the badly treated dog who got a job sniffing out chemicals used by arsons to start fires. They needed a sense of play for the reward, I don’t remember exactly.

But there’s a continuum. Pokey would not be a good dog to go into hospitals or libraries, but that doesn’t make him a bad dog, he loves to explore.

6 Likes

Definitely a good boy. Not that type of good boy, but a good one none the less.

When he opens a fridge, that fridge knows it has been opened.

26 Likes

That was awesome, thanks.
I love the expressions the other dogs make. Disbelief, embarrassment, confusion. I swear one is thinking “the green balls can be bitten?! I never knew!”

It’s cute that his destructiveness seems motivated by pure joy and a desire to please. I’m glad a trainer adopted him- he needs a special kind of human who will understand him and give him the outlets he needs.

13 Likes

It’s like you are describing me, weird, I know…

7 Likes

That’s the difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal - it’s hard work.

16 Likes

A7PI2uP

33 Likes

I’ve met Malnois dogs at the local dog park, and they are generally hilariously intense. Really energetic.

Unfortunately people have been adopting them based on Military Hero Dog movies, and don’t know how to deal with them. They need training and lots of socialization.

14 Likes