Doja Cat gets herself a viral hit with bovine-meme video 'Mooo!'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/19/doja-cat-gets-herself-a-viral.html

5 Likes

As I’ve stated before, my ice cream is melting from watching this.

ETA: I was thinking about this video in the shower (no, not like that) and I gotta hand it to her, she knows what the people want, and set herself up for a viral campaign. She’s the captain of her own ship.

3 Likes

The next Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

Jesus Christ. It isn’t even noon and that’s enough internet for the day already.

12 Likes

Did… did… did she just out-weird Japanese TV?

7 Likes

21 Likes

I for one welcome our new bovine overlords.

Am I doing this right?

7 Likes

Or maybe the next Wang Rong.

2 Likes

I… what? I can’t tell what’s going on here, joke, “joke” or just “outsider art.” The weird, lousy video compositing makes me lean towards “outsider,” but it’s so bad (and so easy to do with a simple blue or green screen) that I’m wondering if it’s deliberate. I guess I just don’t understand the pop culture signs nor what they signify these days.

@Engineer666
You and me both.

4 Likes

Yup, that definitely pegs the weird–o-meter hard, and clearly someone who knows how to play the viral vid game.

The award for most ropey green screen goes to… Moo!

Oh, and someone should page Cyriak - reckon he needs a chunk of her ad revenue from clips at 1:16, 2:12, etc…

ETA: ah. never mind:

4 Likes

Having come across some of her stuff previously it is deliberate.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m not really feeling this at all. From listening to her Soundcloud, it seems like more (visual) style than (audio) substance here. For lofi hiphop, I’m more into Sela these days - https://sela.bandcamp.com/

1 Like

For me, I’m into it;

9/10, would milk

1 Like

Back in the day, we had to settle for NSFW viral hits like this:

1 Like

Surprised you didn’t go with this one:

2 Likes

I will never forget this:

mooo

ETA: Thanks for the reference @Scott_Robles,
Plenty of Friesians in this part of the world but no Chick-fil-a ads!

4 Likes

years later, still my favorite Chick-fil-a commercial

1 Like

I quite like it.
I’ll be 60 this year and I’m male.
Will anyone mind if I go around singing to myself; “Bitch, I’m a cow.”

4 Likes

That actually makes me even more confused, as I don’t know how one goes from that - which is highly conventional and glossily produced - to this. It only makes sense to me if she had some sort of extreme mental health crisis and decided to make the video herself. As a deliberate artistic act, I have no idea whatsoever what any of it is supposed to mean.

It’s supposed to mean “this is a video that is likely to go viral, thereby increasing the potential audience for my other work”.

It’s a guerilla marketing stunt, but a well-done and inoffensive one.

2 Likes