Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's carefully-planned surrealism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/31/carefully-planned-surrealism.html

3 Likes

I dunno, I think mocap-dot-monster #39 was a little ahead of the beat at times.

8 Likes

I’m always amazed at seeing something like this that strikes me as really weird and non entirely pleasant to listen to. Really? There’s enough fans with enough money to fund this kind of thing?

But there are a lot of things I like that people would say the same thing about. For example, I like this song

10 Likes

you win… this time!

8 Likes
6 Likes

deep space harrier vibe from that video

5 Likes

This takes me back to that time when… Oh, who am I kidding?

3 Likes

Surprisingly, most of her songs are garden-variety pop. It’s the visuals that make them wierd. Based on what I’ve heard, this song is a good deal more inventive than most. Well done!

You just described pop music for me, for the most part.

@BakaNeko
I bet that movie isn’t the least bit depressing, dealing with one of the most sad, toxic, misogynistic manifestations of pop music as it does. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

She’ll never top PONPONPON

5 Likes

As was pointed out at the time, that Wang Rong video takes inspiration from Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

By the way, BoingBoing’s very first post about Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is borked, perhaps because of the Japanese characters in the URL.
https://boingboing.net/2011/07/26/きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ-ponponpon.html

1 Like

If by ‘latest’, you mean a year and a half ago, sure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Leave no tree behind.

2 Likes

Carefully-planned tabletism:

2 Likes

Welcome to the fantasy zone! Get ready … to dance.

4 Likes

…sorry, when does the second half of the Superbowl start again?

2 Likes

Speaking of surrealism, choreography, and songs…

5 Likes

Initially, I thought they were starved bears.

If anyone was wondering what she looks like without the makeup (I believe this is a younger pre-fame pic)

With the makeup, she always reminds me a bit of:

(I think it’s the eyes…)