Dolly Parton singing "Stairway to Heaven"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/02/dolly-parton-singing-stairwa.html

8 Likes

Oh lord, that warbling. And then they DOUBLE IT UP. I keep seeing baby birds in a blender.

3 Likes

The former Led Zeppelin singer says he and Jimmy Page approved of Parton’s bluegrass cover of ‘‘Stairway to Heaven’’ and even let her write some new lyrics

9 Likes

The first half sounded pretty fresh and unique, but the last half was just a jazzy-kwazzy generic bluegrass song.

1 Like

Love it.

4 Likes

I agree. Dolly Parton is great, but that’s not her best work.
If you want to hear a really great cover watch Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart on Youtube do Stairway. It’ll rock your socks off.

9 Likes

Guy on a buffaloooo

Talk about burying the lede! The title should be “hey who wants to hear stairway to heaven played on a banjo?”

5 Likes

Dolly’s husband is not a big fan of country music, and he is an old school classic rock guy. I have to assume it may have been done for him. It’s not going on my playlists, but I assume it is on his.

Good for her.

1 Like

Thank you for reminding me of this. It’s god damn great.

Heart - Stairway to Heaven (Live at Kennedy Center Honors)

4 Likes

So good, inspired this. Just a loose edit, distraction.

1 Like

Zappa did a great version. I thinks it mostly just a vehicle for the Brass arrangement of the original guitar solo.

1 Like

No disrespect to Dolly but my favourite would definitely be this:

From an old Australian TV show.

4 Likes

I turn out when the swiss yodeling begins

That would be Andrew Denton’s ‘The Money or the Gun’. This satirical Australian public broadcast show would feature a version of Stairway to Heaven in various styles by some great musicians and comedy acts. Here are some of my picks and I’ll exclude Rolf Harris for obvious reasons:
The Beatles

Rita Hayworth - Gilda

Elvis

Kate Ceberano - think Massive Attack

Doors

B52s

7 Likes

Sadly, they weren’t the ones who hoped to die before they got old. This was utterly awful. Parton has a great voice for many things but her permanent vibrato was not a good look here. And did it have to have a banjo? Of course it did, it’s ‘country’. New lyrics - FFS!?! And the way some passages were sung really jarred. The whole ‘heavy’ end was a discordant mess.

Did I mention not liking it?

THIS!!!

Liked the video juxtaposition. But the song performance is execrable. Would have been a better edit with the original.

Actually - the banjo is more bluegrass.

5 Likes

…or sock your rocks off, if you’re into that…

Team Dolly here. I love this cover.

4 Likes

And a great reminder of what a badass guitarist Nancy is. Dreamboat Annie (sigh).