Watch Bono and The Edge mung up "Stairway to Heaven"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/02/watch-bono-and-the-edge-mung-u.html

Yeesh, you can see Plant and Page reliving so many memories as they get swept along on that unbelievable cover. Transcendental shit right there.

Emphatically NOT denied.

11 Likes

Me: Can 2020 get any worse?

Bone and the Edge: here’s our cover of “Stairway to Heaven”

13 Likes

18 Likes

Uh, no, and… no.

3 Likes

God, Bono actually thinks he looks “cool”. He really needs someone to give him an age-appropriate make over.

1 Like

It is a classic track; but it takes its time getting to the bits I like.

1 Like

maybe he’s just comfy living and doing what he’s doing.

8 Likes

There was an Australian show in the 90s who closed every week with a different cover of Stairway. At one stage they released an album of about 20 versions; from punk to lounge singer to blues. They even had they Sydney Philharmonic do it in a classical style at one stage.

8 Likes

101 versions here.

My favorite is short attention span stairway.

6 Likes

The Kennedy Center, Heart’s version: from when we had a president with some fucking class. Jesus Christ. I’ve got tears coming down. 50% from Heart rocking it, 50% from nostalgia.

11 Likes

short attention span stairway

Ha, perfect! I always got bored during that overblown cockrock wankfest.

6 Likes

I remember the Rolf Harris version. He had his usual mishmash of utensils used as instruments, and a flopping piece of cardstock making a woop-woop sound. It was funny in the moment. Now I cant believe he was a pedo the whole time. Yuck.

1 Like

Heart’s rendition of Stairway To Heaven is incredible, as is the arrangement and backing vocals, but there’s a note missing from both the guitar playing and drumming. It drives me crazy because I’ve been listening to the original version of this song for 49 years.

3 Likes

Stairway to Boredom

Thanks Jello

6 Likes

That version was amazing. I thought I’d never be able to sit through that song again but I’m a sucker for U.S. entertainment when it executes sentimentality and quality.

It pulled off the right cues and got the homage, technical proficiency, and innovation levels just right imo.

3 Likes

I think he looks fine. Let’s let folks be who they want to be, even if it’s not what we would do.

Edge still looks like he always has, though. Man never really seems to age.

1 Like

He looks fine, but he should never try to sing that.
The Edge? Looks great, sounds great, if you shut up Bono I’ll listen to him noodle all day long.

1 Like

Well, I’m not the best person to ask who should sing Stairway to Heaven, because I’m in a noted minority of people who absolutely detest the song and who have never cared for Led Zeppelin.

2 Likes

I have Opinions about Stairway to Heaven.
When it came out, I got the sheet music so I could play a piano version as my “optional piece” at piano lessons. It’s a very complicated song, musically.
I love it when Led Zeppelin performs it. I was surprised at how well Heart covered it. I usually hate it when a cover band does it, unless they’re old like me and do it as a tribute to when it was the last dance of the night at high school dances. But even back in the 70s, when every band had it in their repertory, it was either covered well, or a trainwreck.

But no one should be allowed to play it to test a guitar. Except Jimmy Page.

4 Likes