Robert Plant performed "Stairway to Heaven" on Saturday for the first time in 16 years (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/10/24/robert-plant-performed-stairway-to-heaven-on-saturday-for-the-first-time-in-16-years-video.html

4 Likes

I’m guessing that for the past 16 years every place he was in had this sign…

waynes world GIF

Waynes World No GIF

13 Likes

And the song remains the same.

11 Likes

Someone needs to hold a guitar store themed concert. The set list would include Smoke on the Water, Stairway, Thunderstruck, Free Bird, and Wonderwall, among others. And maybe end with someone absolutely butchering John Mayer’s Neon.

8 Likes

That’s a great idea…

6 Likes

I could definitely handle the butchering of Neon.

ETA: Butchering of Neon would make a good band name. I’m writing that down…

8 Likes
9 Likes

Why wouldn’t he play the song on Saturday before?

9 Likes

Wow - 16 years since this craziness?

11 Likes

Aww, that was Jason Bonham, wasn’t it?

Sad Jim Carrey GIF by Laff

7 Likes

Yup - doing his pop proud.
Here’s something a bit mind-blowing (to me): Jason Bonham is now almost 60.

9 Likes

Don’t forget Van Halen’s “Jump”.

My friend worked at a music store near the end of H.S. / Beginning of college. They had the “No Stairway” sign by the guitars (“Roundabout” would get you told off, too).

By the keyboards the forbidden list was “Jump”, “Fleur de Lis” and “Rhapsody in Blue”

7 Likes

The list grows…

3 Likes

How about an Eruption/Jump medley?

3 Likes

Never a fan of Led Zeppelin but I love seeing classic rockers do the hits especially in small venues without all extra effects and flashy stage shows.

That was cool.

3 Likes

He listened very hard and the tune came to him at last:

But not all the loud, screamy, crescendo bits.

He can still belt out a tune but there were a couple of signs there that either he is not in great shape right now, vocally (recent illness, perhaps?) or that at long last those magical vocal cords are starting to place some limitations on what he can reliably do.

But it was still a wonderful thing!

4 Likes

good ol’ Robert.
had to hook the phone up to the big speakers. his pipes weren’t there for the high notes but damn, just giving it to us was epic.

3 Likes

Here’s the why.

2 Likes

Heart are better at Led Zeppelin than Led Zeppelin.

Seeing House’s huge grin every time he was on camera was one of my favorite parts of that performance. I didn’t know who he was, but he just looked overjoyed and disbelieving that he was there in that moment. So nice.

4 Likes