Dominion sues Fox News for $1.6 billion for phony election fraud accusations

Originally published at: Dominion sues Fox News for $1.6 billion for phony election fraud accusations | Boing Boing

7 Likes

NewsCorp: “It was just entertainment! A joke I tell you! What kind of idiot would actually Decide what we Reported was real?! It’s not like our Corporation’s business is reporting News.”

26 Likes

no . . . no . . .

yes!

that kind of humor just never gets old :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Can one sue propaganda?

6 Likes

They’re gonna have to change their name to Fox Nooz after this to avoid similar lawsuits.

6 Likes

Or Faux News.

18 Likes

Ooh, that’s even better! Faux News, a subsidiary of Dominion.

4 Likes

I just hope these all make it to a courtroom to force everyone to admit in open court they got nothin’. Hopefully before the next election. But knowing our system, that’s not the way it will work.

5 Likes

42 Likes

Why not?

It’s unfair business practices to profit from slander and defamation, and that’s exactly what fox did.

18 Likes

It will be interesting to see if the lawsuit survives motions to dismiss and gets to discovery. I bet there are all sorts of incriminating internal communications that Fox absolutely does not want to see the light of day…

19 Likes

That’s a lotta money, and Newscorp has lawyers, so they will fight this for years because it’s easier to just keep paying your lawyers than to lose. A settlement might be the only way to save face.

I hope Dominion employees documented all the harassment. If they have police reports and phone recordings all the better.

The other key would be to find evidence from inside Fox News that they knew these allegations were false and still ran with them. Now would be a good time for a mole or disgruntled employee inside Newscorp to leak some documents.

15 Likes

What on Dog’s green Earth are you talking about? /s

14 Likes

Not to mention videos captured from the on-air public broadcasts. Whoever had to do that discovery for Dominion’s lawyers pulled the short straw.

6 Likes

oh yes please!

2 Likes

Dominion’s owner is doing this to make a statement, and has said he wants to have sincere rectification and reverse the false beliefs that have been instilled. I don’t think he’s aiming for a settlement (or at least, not a slap-on-the-wrist settlement).

9 Likes

I don’t think the law has a “but it was only propaganda!” exception for organizations that make false and defamatory statements of fact.

13 Likes

SmartMatic got a retraction out of Fox news in order to withdraw their suit. I expect the same offer here, I’m not sure if Dominion will accept that.

1 Like

The Simpsons Flirt GIF by FOX TV

14 Likes

Anything that hurts NewsCorp is good for society, but my first thought is I don’t like that private companies make billions from voting. Sacrilegious as it is to say in the US, aren’t those sort of profits off of a public necessity an indication of a very broken system?

8 Likes