Dominion sues Fox News for $1.6 billion for phony election fraud accusations

It was clearly a work of fiction. Isn’t everything on Fox News clearly a work of fiction and any resemblance to actual people and events is accidental.

I believe that’s what they always say as their defense. That it’s not defamation if it’s clearly fiction and everything on the network is clearly fiction.

1 Like

Well this may be interesting. Generally speaking, in the last decades the right side of politics everywhere in the world has been on a downward spiral (right into the cesspit), and all they manage to do is lie. It seems like most parties to the right of the spectrum don’t worry about “policy” anymore, they are simply lie factories, and man do they work overtime.
Problem is, it’s obviously untenable in the long run, and this may be the first crack: big business going after the lie machine that they helped create. Not that those poor folks at Dominion had any hand in determining Fox’s actions, but in the end this is shaping up to be a fist fight between two big-biz concerns, one of which is really feeling the pain brought by that lie factory.
Now I am not harboring high hopes about this, just some expec…

HighExpectations

tation.

6 Likes

I love reading twitter comments on stories about these lawsuits where all the Q-uacks rush to comment “can’t wait for the discovery phase” (with presumable glee on their faces), because they think during the trial the defense is gonna roll out the evidence that Trump’s minions “weren’t allowed” to show the courts that proves once and for all that Dominion rigged the election. I mean…I just…can’t…with these people.

9 Likes

9 Likes

I’m trying to understand what alternative you have in mind. That’s a lot of very specialized hardware and software that isn’t going to have a market outside of government. So Canada commissioned the design etc. and then (because efficiencies of scale) the systems were made available to other entities with similar needs.

What would you prefer to see changed?

1 Like

Yes electronic voting requires dedicated machines and software and that costs money, but we don’t have to pay a lot of additional money to Dominion shareholders to vote. Dominion machines are used by <100 million voters in US and Canada. Even if all of them voted in 2020, that would be a profit of >$30 per voter. Not the cost per voter, but the amount they charge over cost per voter.

Could the US and Canadian governments not invest in the infrastructure, run the machines at cost, and put that $3 billion a year to public services rather than the pockets of Dominion owners?

ETA: Imagine if instead the government decided to increase voter turnout with a $30 payment to every voter. The “fiscal conservatives” would lose their shit. Give all of that money to a handful of already wealthy people in exchange for people voting, though, and not only is it ok, but this sort of public corporate subsidy is so ubiquitous we can’t imagine an alternative

“Profits” aren’t just the dividends to shareholders. They also include recouped development costs, upfront investment, and a long list of other things. I spent a career in loosely related development and can’t say that the figure is at all remarkable, nor (WAG) would a direct government-operated development have been any more efficient. If you look at the track record for (e.g.) IRS computer upgrades they aren’t encouraging.

1 Like

$1.6 billion? Why so low? News Corp pulls in that much in two weeks. I say hit 'em where it hurts… in Rupert Murdoch’s pocket change lunch money fund. Add a few zeros and grab their attention.

1 Like

Ikr sue Jerry Hall too.

2 Likes

Maybe make the whole elections simpler? I’ve been voting in Canada for almost 40 years, and the highest-tech thing I’ve ever seen is a ball point pen.

2 Likes

people voted on things for thousands of years before computers were invented

somehow

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.