Donald Trump, deadbeat

LOL.

First off I am not seriously suggesting Trump would actually be good at fixing our debt. In fact, I foresee short sighted schemes in our future.

Second we DO need to fix our debt. Seriously. We shouldn’t run our country like I run my finances.

Lastly, you acknowledge that what I said didn’t relate to Social Security, but you managed to still build that straw man. Naturally in this case I don’t really care, but on another topic I’d be posting Jackie Chan or something.

1 Like

I guess what I’m saying is that the government wiggling out of debt makes me worry. We should fix it, yes, but skipping out on what we owe isn’t OK. Someone will get screwed over, and there’s no guarantee it won’t be all of us.

2 Likes

Drumpf behaves like an entitled and spoiled infant who has never had to work. He’s done it since the 80s.

But GOP denial of that fact has resulted in the spectacle of public division between the GOP House and Senate leaders over the racism and amateurish, greedy mistakes of their own nominee.

It’s not 1980 any more guys. Goodbye, Whigs!

4 Likes

You can’t. But that hasn’t stopped Trump from explicitly saying that’s what he’ll do. Because that’s the kind of economic savvy he has (none at all).

1 Like

He’s suggested exactly that. But unfortunately where as reneging on payments and loans to re-negotiate at a lower rate is a valid (if unethical and unstable) way to run a business it’s a really, really, really, bad idea for nations.

Basically his stated plan is to tank the global economy, badly devalue the dollar then magically come out on top by “getting a better deal”. At a level where that means global disaster and “getting a deal” isn’t at all how things work.

8 Likes

I live in NJ. Nobody around my town who works in construction is going to vote for him because either they knew someone who didn’t get paid on a project or were themselves not paid. This is an old story over here and I’m happy to see it get national coverage.

15 Likes

Trump has been getting away with this kinda thing for so long he just assumes he can do or say whatever he wants in the election too. He’s convinced he’s some kind of genius businessman when he’s really just a bully with deep pockets, in the same way he’s convinced he’s the best guy for the Presidency because he fooled the dumbest portion of the GOP into voting for him by talking out his ass.

5 Likes

This is old news, and I’m sure you know it, but there are really only two ways to fix the debt: raise taxes or cut spending (or some combination of both)-- reneging on bonds is like shooting yourself in the foot to fix a bunion. The last time we were consistently paying off the debt was under Clinton, and there was debate among economists about whether we were paying it off too fast. For conservatives the debt only became a serious issue with Obama’s stimulus spending (“Obama added more to the debt than all previous Presidents!”), whereas they didn’t seem to mind when Bush (W) was doing the same thing (he’s second on the list for most added debt, but then some of his policies were continued under Obama, so then who gets credit for that part of the debt?)

Anyway, economics is way more complicated than I can really fathom, so the lesson is “there’s no easy fix.”

6 Likes

@Modusoperandi, you’re creating a need for storify-ing BB posts, you know that, right?

3 Likes

Does he actually conflate the board room with the white house?

At his levels of wealth he is likely always at personal risk. And so hes used to the security and lifestyle of being the president. But like… he might just get quietly offed by someone close to him in that very house. Because to be a king is to be a target. So like… that’s a thing. I’m sure the realization upon waking up the first night some emergency happens and they have to take you to a safehouse immediately, is that you are not in Kansas anymore. That your actual life is in the hands of strangers. Whose names you need to make a mental note to remember. Who are the men outside your room with guns who protect you while you sleep. Do they? Would you ask yourself that question? With yourself and your family in the White House?

I don’t think he’s the kinda guy who has blood on his hands. The president is also the head executioner in this country. Not pardoning someone is the same as condoning their deaths. The guy who sits in that chair gets photos the next day of a bunch of dead people they killed. Everyone blames you. You let it happen. Its about being accountable for things.

He is anything but.

The people cheering him… his nutjob electoral base, will destory him if he DOES look like he’s gonna let them down. Because they are angry hateful and stupid for the most part. There are the literate exceptions that show up in BoingBoings comments section.

I do not mean them.

I mean the dipshits on Stormfront who use onion articles and Photoshop to ‘prove’ things to people who then refuse to believe differently. Like in 1927 our country was sold! People. Dumb and dangerous and very hard to convince otherwise.

Presidents do what people tell them to do. Or no one does anything.

That’s how it goes.

I think right now he is lining up all his deals. Making the connections and asking people what they are looking for. The other deals. Not the ones he made before he started winning. The real ones now. People take his phonecalls.

He’s soft selling his easy win. He shows a card or two. Makes an impression on them. Sets up the deal. Gets their support. Asks for a donation. He intends to raise a billion. Everyone else is there.

Suddenly they recognize they just got a visit from a lord demanding tribute in 2016.

I bet the dude can give you chills when he wants. Can you imagine?

Trump with nukes and drones and the power of the federal reserve and the largest military and the largest debt in the world?

If he’s the kinda nutjob to use expanded executive powers to start a war and commit us to something so congress is FORCED to act and do so fast… he could cecide he was gonna take the fight to China himself. Or Mexico. Unless… congress picks the peaceful route. Thats the kinda deals he will make.

And he’s going to scrap trade deals, to wield tremendous power over trade and economics.

And take us to the brink like they do in a nice protected board meeting when they make deals. All PTSDed out and sleepy from the demands on the President.

I mean for all we know the real Bush Jr’s presidency was the story of a worried motherly Cheney and a decompensated drug addict wearing his underwear on his head and screaming racist jokes and spinning in his chair. Time for another vacation. AGAIN. And Cheney was gonna go hunting old men this week…

2 Likes

I don’t know much about Ashkenazi culture, but in the last couple days I’ve learned that they are masters of The Burn.

5 Likes

If you had told me fifteen years ago that in 2016, USA Today would be a far more respected news source than CNN, I would’ve laughed at you. But here we are, and CNN is a persistent garbage fire.

12 Likes

The problem I’m having with Trump now is separating what he actually believes and what’s just lazy demagoguery that’s playing to the ignorant image that people have of him. (E.g. that he’s a brilliant businessman rather than just somehow who inherited it.) So he certainly does a lot of talking where he absolutely conflates the board room and white house, where he describes running the US like one of his businesses (specifically like a real-estate business, which doesn’t even apply outside real-estate), defaulting on US debt, “making deals,” etc.
I imagine that Trump is telling the Republicans that he doesn’t mean any of what he’s been saying, because I have a hard time imagining that any of them would support him otherwise. But maybe I’m underestimating how much the Republicans are willing to destroy the US (and world) economy just to get back into the White House. Even if he’s not going to do anything that he’s promised, yeah, he’ll still be a Putin-style thug targeting the press and his other “enemies,” gutting the EPA, Justice Department and whatever else he can impact, being belligerent diplomatically, etc.

We’re talking about voters that are so “low-information” that they’re actually “no-information.” Would they even notice, much less ahead of time, that he’s letting them down? What would that even mean to his supporters? Their personal circumstances might not change, but he can always blame someone else for that. His core constituency is oblivious to facts and reality in general, their support for him isn’t connected to any kind of specific policy. There are things that could hurt him (right now, his taxes, probably - because he’s either not as rich as he says, and/or he’s done some ridiculous tax dodges that would make him look bad), but having declared that the press are his enemies, out to get him, any facts revealed will be greeted with skepticism by his supporters. Plus, I think for a lot of his core supporters, the thing they most like about him is that he’s given them permission to be openly racist and created scapegoats for their problems.

5 Likes

So accurate, that I read your post in Trump’s voice.

3 Likes

The secret is out. Lamaranagram is my alias! I mean, er… maybe … uh.

1 Like

Corporate welfare beneficiary.

Here’s a handy infographic of just how much of a garbage fire CNN has become over the years:

too lazy to gin something up

6 Likes

You don’t get shit on since the bronze age if not before without picking up enough that you forget more about the Burn than most other cultures ever learned in the first place.

2 Likes

Thus demonstrating why people with no understanding of economics whatsoever are voting for Drumpf.

1 Like

No, we really don’t.

1. We print the money. Seriously. If it ever actually got really bad (which it isn’t) where the consequences of not paying outweighed the consequences of inflation, we could just print more money to pay it off.

2. The U.S. has a better credit rating than any other country in the world. We are borrowing at interest rates so low they’re lower than inflation. Creditors are effectively paying us to keep their money safe for them.

3. For a country, long-term debt is only a problem if it exceeds your ability to pay the interest. In the context of a household, or a business, your long-term goal should be to get out of debt. For a country, as long as the economy continues to grow, a goal of getting out of debt would be completely counterproductive.

6 Likes