Donald Trump is ineligible to run for president, say conservative law professors

Exactly!

He thinks Hair Furore wants to declare independence? From what? Reality?

10 Likes

It does provide some cover for individual states to refuse to put him on the ballot. I could see several state AGs to cite this position paper along with T****’s 2nd impeachment and any convictions he might accrue to assert that he’s ineligible. While that probably wouldn’t swing any states he wouldn’t already lose, it could tie things up in court and drain even more resources from GOP coffers.

16 Likes

I heard a podcast recently where some election expert was talking about this very issue. Unfortunately the constitution doesn’t clearly define whose responsibility it is to make that determination. Is it the job of local election officials in each state to keep him off the ballot, for example? If so there would definitely be disagreement from one state to the next about whether he’d be allowed onto a ballot. It’s going to be very messy and controversial no matter what these two professors say.

13 Likes

Presumably the framers of the constitution thought insurrectionists would be easy to recognise for anyone. They would know, after all, having been insurrectionists themselves.

6 Likes

Not quite. The relevant part of the Constitution is the 14th amendment, which was written in response to the civil war, by lawmakers who did not rebel against the union and were not interested in empowering people who did.

23 Likes

The Schrodinger Constitution.

5 Likes

That would be … missing from the Constitution

oopsie doopsie :blush:

5 Likes

Reducing trump to a write-in could severely limit his chances, considering his base.

6 Likes

I like their conclusion: it is already the defined job (under state law) of an election offical in each state to decide if a candidate is qualified to be on the ballot in that state. I believe in my state it would fall to the Secretary of State. As they point out, in recent similar cases, one was upheld, one was overruled, by their state courts.

Regardless, that is inarguably ‘official.’

They also contend that it is not the duty or purpose of a criminal jury to decide the matter, nor is it even given to a jury to decide. Note that even in the J6 case it’s not an issue.

4 Likes

I would think any one of us could file a case in Federal Court seeking to determine the whoremonger’s eligibility to run. We certainly have standing.

We don’t and that’s already been decided with previous situations where this type of thing came up.

If we were on a state legislature, we MAY have standing.

1 Like

This legal opinion may or may not be valid, but I don’t think the government has the will to try to enforce such a thing. I am a little surprised with the indictments, but they are going to be a long, slow process with questionable results.

These people voted against certifiying the election results just hours after their lives were threatened by the insurrectionists: if that’s not ‘giving aid & comfort’, (not to mention aiding and abetting) I don’t know what is…
In the Senate:
Ted Cruz (R-Texas) Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) John Kennedy (R-La.) Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.) Roger Marshall (R-Kan.) Rick Scott (R-Fla.) Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.)
In the House:
Robert Aderholt (R-Ala.) Rick Allen (R-Ga.) Jodey Arrington (R-Texas) Brian Babin (R-Texas) Jim Baird (R-Ind.) Jim Banks (R-Ind.) Cliff Bentz (R-Ore.) Jack Bergman (R-Mich.) Stephanie Bice (R-Okla.) Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) Dan Bishop (R-N.C.) Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) Mike Bost (R-Ill.) Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) Ted Budd (R-N.C.) Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) Michael Burgess (R-Texas) Ken Calvert (R-Calif.) Kat Cammack (R-Fla.) Jerry Carl (R-Ala.) Buddy Carter (R-Ga) John Carter (R-Texas) Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) Steve Chabot (R-Ohio) Ben Cline (R-Va.) Michael Cloud (R-Texas) Andrew Clyde (R-Ga.) Tom Cole (R-Okla.) Rick Crawford (R-Ark.) Warren Davidson (R-Ohio) Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.) Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) Neal Dunn (R-Fla.) Ron Estes (R-Kan.) Pat Fallon (R-Texas) Michelle Fischbach (R-Minn.) Scott Fitzgerald (R-Wis.) Chuck Fleischmann (R-Tenn.) Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) Scott Franklin (R-Fla.) Russ Fulcher (R-Idaho) Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) Mike Garcia (R-Calif.) Bob Gibbs (R-Ohio) Carlos Gimenez (R-Fla.) Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) Bob Good (R-Va.) Lance Gooden (R-Texas) Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) Garret Graves (R-La.) Sam Graves (R-Mo.) Mark Green (R-Tenn.) Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) Morgan Griffith (R-Va.) Michael Guest (R-Miss.) Jim Hagedorn (R-Minn.) Andy Harris (R-Md.) Diana Harshbarger (R-Tenn.) Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.) Kevin Hern (R-Okla.) Yvette Herrell (R-N.M.) Jody Hice (R-Ga.) Clay Higgins (R-La.) Richard Hudson (R-N.C.) Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) Ronny Jackson (R-Texas) Chris Jacobs (R-N.Y.) Bill Johnson (R-Ohio) Mike Johnson (R-La.) Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) John Joyce (R-Pa.) Fred Keller (R-Pa.) Mike Kelly (R-Pa.) Trent Kelly (R-Miss.) David Kustoff (R-Tenn.) Doug LaMalfa (R-Calif.) Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) Jake LaTurner (R-Kan.) Debbie Lesko (R-Ariz.) Billy Long (R-Mo.) Barry Loudermilk (R-Ga.) Frank Lucas (R-Okla.) Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.) Nicole Malliotakis (R-N.Y.) Tracey Mann (R-Kan.) Brian Mast (R-Fla.) House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) Lisa McClain (R-Mich.) Daniel Meuser (R-Pa.) Carol Miller (R-W.Va.) Mary Miller (R-Ill.) Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.) Barry Moore (R-Ala.) Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.) Greg Murphy (R-N.C.) Troy Nehls (R-Texas) Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) Jay Obernolte (R-Calif.) Burgess Owens (R-Utah) Steven Palazzo (R-Miss.) Gary Palmer (R-Ala.) Greg Pence (R-Ind.) Scott Perry (R-Pa.) August Pfluger (R-Texas) Bill Posey (R-Fla.) Guy Reschenthaler (R-Pa.) Tom Rice (R-S.C.) Harold Rogers (R-Ky.) Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) John Rose (R-Tenn.) Matthew Rosendale (R-Mont.) David Rouzer (R-N.C.) John Rutherford (R-Fla.) House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) Pete Sessions (R-Texas) Adrian Smith (R-Neb.) Jason Smith (R-Mo.) Lloyd Smucker (R-Pa.) Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) Gregory Steube (R-Fla.) Chris Stewart (R-Utah) Thomas Tiffany (R-Wis.) Glenn Thompson (R-Pa.) William Timmons (R-S.C.) Jeff Van Drew (R-N.J.) Beth Van Duyne (R-Texas) Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) Jackie Walorski (R-Ind.) Randy Weber (R-Texas) Daniel Webster (R-Fla.) Roger Williams (R-Texas) Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) Robert Wittman (R-Va.) Ron Wright (R-Texas) Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.)

Lots of familiar names; some of which are no longer in office.
I have never understood why the Majority leaders in each branch didn’t cite the 14th Amendment and refuse to swear in these assholes.
Besides the usual litany of ‘letting the country heal’, & etc & etc & etc…
I remember hearing similar bullshit when Ford pardoned Nixon; Lord Dampnut was the inevitable result.

So, hell no, Lord Dampnut should not be eligible to hold office, and neither should about half of Congress, for the same reasons.

18 Likes

Why would they not have added that he should not be the gimp in the State Department, also? Maybe take a stronger role as Domestic Violence Anonymous Turkiye c.f. Luxist East Coast? Or DC Narcan “Yeah you’ve been low long enough now” Guy?

6 Likes

Yah, it’s becoming more and more clear that there’s no MAGA without Trump. DeSantis’s collapse is really compelling evidence of that. He did all the Trumpiest things a young Trumpy boy can do, and he’s been rejected with extreme prejudice by the voters. Old timey GOPers might think they can hold on to those people without the distasteful man who leads them, but they are wrong.

This is a good point. This could be a tactical move. If they can remove Trump while allowing him to save face, they can keep him around as a sort of figurehead. That would likely allow them to retain the MAGA base without which nobody else can ever be elected on their side. Amusingly, saying he caused an insurrection and thus technically can’t run is saving face for these people.

15 Likes

Unlike the cat, I can tell you - this one is dead. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t forget Chuck Grassley, who was in on the plot to scare off Pence. Grassley, as President Pro Tem of the Senate at the time, would have filled in for Pence if he’d been absent for the vote.

6 Likes

Idly Googles

Holy shit! How did I not know until just now that Mike Pence’s fucking brother voted against certifying the election after they tried to kill his fucking brother

Xtian values are one hell of a drug

25 Likes

Federalist Soc: “Will no one rid us of this turbulent Trump?”

Federalist Soc: “It was the Democrats! It’s their fault!”

Win-Win. (But not an excuse to do nothing.)

6 Likes

Greg already got Mike’s old job once when he succeeded him in the house - so why not go for the soon to be open position of vice prez?

6 Likes