Donald Trump's financial conflicts of interests to be revealed in Kurt Eichenwald Newsweek exposé

What I’m glad to see in this article is a clear statement, up-front, of how ridiculous the criticism of the Clinton Foundation has been. It’s been utterly bizarre to me to see headlines on CNN and HuffPo declaring that the Clintons need to abandon their charitable foundation, even though it’s an A-rated charity that saves lives and has been completely transparent with its financials, while the Trump Foundation is literally breaking laws and stealing money and has been documented doing so. It’s super weird to see alt-right Alex Jones conspiracy theories take hold in the mainstream media.

14 Likes

11 Likes

Yuuuuge!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there is nothing that will dissuade his hardcore supporters, the alt-right/KKK crowd is beyond redemption on any kind of moral level. But if there is something that would change the minds of those “more reasonable” conservatives I would like to see it, because if you can bring yourself to ignore Trump’s very obvious moral, ethical and political faults, and that the David Dukes of the world love him, then what exactly will it take to make you change your mind? The intimation that Trump is cozy with Putin has been out there for a long time, and it hasn’t swayed enough voters to sink him in the polls.

10 Likes

How about just the fact that he’ll be older than Reagan was when the Gipper took office, and Reagan was suffering from Alzheimer’s-related dementia by the time he left the White House. Trump’s father died from complications of Alzheimer’s six years after being diagnosed.

8 Likes

At the age of 93. While that might mean DT is at a higher risk, the age Reagan was diagnosed has not much to do with Donald’s chances. Hell, Sanders ran at 74, and he’s still sharper than Reagan was at any age.

That said, this may be the first election where I think the candidates should get psych evaluations in addition to physical ones.

9 Likes

For now. I voted for Sanders but his age did concern me. If you go by American lifespan stats based on age and gender there’s only a 50% chance Sanders will even be ALIVE nine years from now. (Odds for Trump are 69%, Clinton 82%).

5 Likes

You do realize we vote for president in four-year chunks, not nine-year chunks. The president may like to get a second term, but it is not by any means guaranteed.

4 Likes

Yes, but having recently lost a grandparent I was reminded how fast that decline in physical and mental health can strike. Like I said, I voted for Sanders, but advanced age can be a real drawback for the job. Reagan’s precedent bears this out.

9 Likes

More information about how Trump is a corrupt demagogue won’t convince those people. I don’t think there are many people left in America who aren’t entirely aware that Trump is a corrupt demagogue, and all those people who think that is disqualifying are already not voting for him.

Gotta give them a reason to vote FOR someone, not just AGAINST someone. And Hillary has a lot of trouble getting that message out there (trouble caused by both her own strategic decisions and the media’s obsession with Trump and E-mails).

3 Likes

That was all a trick… in reality…

5 Likes

Something something Burning Man.

5 Likes

What’s more likely than him divesting is a hostile takeover of the US by Trump Inc.

2 Likes

What’s interesting is that this article isn’t so much about him being a demagogue as it is about outlining his corrupt business practices worldwide and making the case that unless he and his family intend to abandon Trump Inc., he literally can’t do his job as a leader who deals with foreign countries. Trouble is, that line of logic may be too complex for someone whose reason for voting Trump consists of “HUGE WALL! TRUMP THAT BITCH! LOCK HER UP! WOO!!”

15 Likes

Frankly, Trump is a nightmare, and the deeper you dig the worse it gets. But I have to look at this and think how bad the Mainstream media and the political establishment have gotten. Like Brexit, the establishment is losing all ability to communicate with voters. All they can do is throw ads at them. The Republicans, and the media never forced Trump into one substantive conversation about his history or his positions in more than a year of campaigning. Net result; a man without substance is remarkable close to being the executive of our country.

16 Likes

Yeah, this is actually the negative he needs to be hit with, that he is corrupt and lying about himself. That he is always willing to be dishonest and sell out regular people for his own gain.

We can call him a racist nut-bag all day and a lot of folks find that charmingly non establishment and the attacks against him as an insult to them.

2 Likes

Hillary’s been running ads that highlight exactly that, looking at regular people who’ve been screwed by Trump.

8 Likes

Not surprising, since Hell Valley Tannen was based directly off of Donald Trump.

15 Likes

Not everyone with a German name is Jewish, dammit!

11 Likes

It’s all over for Trump if we get him to say Happy Holidays.

5 Likes